Connect with us

Super League News

Super League match review: Warrington Wolves 4 Wigan Warriors 12


Warrington Wolves (0) 4 (Try: Ormsby)
Wigan Warriors (8) 12 (Tries: Farrell, Green. Goals: Smith (2))

Match Review

Tries from Liam Farrell and Blake Green ensured that Wigan secured a 12-4 victory over Warrington in a hard fought game at the Halliwell Jones Stadium. An interception try from winger Gene Ormsby offered Warrington a glimmer of hope on the hour mark, but the Warriors held on for their 3rd win of the campaign.

In a repeat of last season’s Grand Final, Wigan started the better, and from the off took control of the game. Joe Burgess made a quick break past Joel Monaghan out wide, who then found Liam Farrell in support on the inside to go over for the opening try of the game on 11 minutes.

Warrington were rarely out of their own half in the first half, and were lucky to not concede again on 19 minutes as John Bateman appeared to have darted over from dummy half. The video referee disallowed the try, after Bateman was held up from Atkins and Riley.

Bad weather caused numerous errors from both teams, as heavy rain fell all night in Warrington. A silly obstruction from Ryan Atkins, who appeared to have blocked the run of Matty Smith in the final few minutes of the first half, gave Smith the chance to put Wigan 8-0 at the break, as he sailed over a difficult penalty kick from 30 metres out. With the Warriors having consistently posed a threat on the Warrington line, and with the Wolves having offered no creativity in attack, particularly with a woeful kicking display, the home side could count themselves lucky to only trail by 8 points at the break.

The second half began as the first had played out, with Wigan once again in control. Liam Farrell broke through the Warrington defence on 50 minutes, after a slick pass from Eddy Pettybourne. Farrell then found Green who beat Joel Monaghan in a race for the line, to go over the whitewash for Wigan’s second try. Smith missed a relatively simple conversion attempt, however, to give the Warriors a 12-0 advantage.

The introduction of Matty Russell at full back for Warrington just before the hour mark allowed Stefan Ratchford to move into the halves, and suddenly the Wolves began to look more threatening. When Gene Ormsby had the vision to intercept and the pace to outrun the Wigan chasers to go over for a try on 60 minutes, the comeback looked on. Ratchford missed a simple kick, to leave the Wolves trailing 12-4.

Warrington had a few chances in the final 20 minutes to add to their score, but costly handling errors resulted in them never really troubling the Wigan defence. Wigan held on for a 12-4 victory- their first win against Warrington in the Super League weekly rounds since February 2010. Last year’s champions now join Warrington on 6 points with a game in hand, as the Wolves slip one place into 7th.


Brien, Myler, Hill, Higham, Asotasi, Waterhouse, Westwood, Grix. Replacements: Laithwaite, G Riley, M Monaghan, Russell

Wigan: Bowen, Charnley, Goulding, Thornley, Burgess, Green, Smith, Taylor, Tomkins, Crosby, Bateman, Farrell, Flower. Replacements: Hughes, Pettybourne, Clubb, Williams

Referee: Phil Bentham


More in Super League News

Translate »
%d bloggers like this: