Connect with us

Super League Match Report

Warriors Crush Sorry Rovers

Wigan Warriors 60-0 Hull KR

Wigan 60 (34)
Tries: Crosby, Burgess (3), Farrell, Tomkins, Williams (2), Sarginson, Manfredi, Tautai
Goals: Smith (8)

Hull KR 0 (0)

Match Review

Wigan ran in 11 unanswered tries at the DW Stadium on Friday night to demolish a depleted Hull KR side.

A second consecutive hat-trick from winger Joe Burgess as well as scores from Dom Crosby, Liam Farrell, Joel Tomkins and George Williams had put the Warriors 34-0 up after just 20 minutes.

Further second half tries from Dan Sarginson, Dom Manfredi, Taulima Tautai and Williams’ second sealed an emphatic victory for the home side.

Hull KR had slipped out of the top eight following two consecutive defeats in recent weeks and the trip to the DW Stadium was always going to be tough for the Robins who were without the services of captain Terry Campese and leading points scorer Josh Mantellato.

Head coach Chris Chester will have been disappointed with the woeful start his side made to the contest as Wigan ran in six tries in the opening quarter of the game.

Young stand-off George Williams was instrumental in almost every chance Wigan created and it was a performance in which he proved Shaun Wane was right to back him to replace the departed Blake Green this season.

Williams opted to run the play on the last tackle after three minutes, finding a gap in the Robins defence before feeding Dom Crosby on his outside to open the scoring.

Three minutes later and Joe Burgess went over for his first try of the night, with Williams again breaking the line before passing to the winger.

Hull KR full-back Kieron Dixon’s restart went out on the full and Liam Farrell eased his way over from the following play.

From the next set good play from Farrell found Burgess out wide to go over for his second, with Rovers in free fall and 24-0 down after 11 minutes.

Tries from Joel Tomkins and Williams in the next ten minutes extended Wigan’s lead to 34-0, with ironic jeers from the crowd as Matty Smith missed his first conversion of the evening.

Hull KR were able to stop the rot for the rest of the half but with their confidence shattered were unable to create any real chances of their own. Completing their sets proved difficult as Wigan bossed the game from start to finish. The visiting fans took to doing a conga around the away end and was all the supporters who had made the trip over from Humberside could cheer about.

The second period played out the same as the first, with Dan Sarginson scoring in the corner on 43 minutes.

Dom Manfredi forced his way over for his 11th try of the season ten minutes later before Taulima Tautai broke the Robins line and ran 30 metres to extend Wigan’s lead.

Williams added his second just after the hour-mark before his kick in to the corner with three minutes left was gathered by Burgess who completed back-to-back hat-tricks.

The win for the Warriors widens the gap between them and fourth placed Huddersfield to four points.

Hull KR fall below local rivals Hull FC into 10th and will be looking to turn their fortunes around next weekend when they face bottom side Wakefield at home.

Trainee sports journalist at News Associates, Manchester, UK.

Latest News


More in Super League Match Report

Translate »