Connect with us

Super League

Magic Weekend match review: Hull FC 46 – 20 Hull KR


Hull FC
Tries: Yeaman 2, Talanoa 3, Ellis, Minichiello, Rankin
Goals: Sneyd 7

Hull KR

Tries: Mantellato 2, Dixon 2
Goals: Mantellato 2

Match Review

Fetuli Talanoa was the hat-trick hero as Hull FC produced a dominant derby day performance to secure a 46-20 victory over Hull KR

The St James’ Park crowd will undoubtedly have been thrilled by the absorbing encounter in which both sides looked to play enterprising, attacking rugby league.

The first half was a frantic affair which Lee Radford’s men largely dominated in territory thanks to some strong defence and some sloppy penalties gifted to them by Hull KR.

Straight from kick off both sides looked to throw the ball around and Hull FC threatened from the off but fullback Jordan Rankin twice threw the ball into touch after finding space out wide.

The pressure eventually told as Marc Sneyd kicked cross-field and Kirk Yeaman claimed the ball above Kieran Dixon to touch down, with Sneyd converting.

Hull KR managed to regroup and hit back immediately and some classy centre play from Kris Welham gave Josh Mantellato the space to acrobatically score in the corner before converting his own try to level the scores.

The tries kept on coming and some slick handling allowed Talanoa to go over untouched down the left hand side for the Airlie Birds.

Camped in their own half, Chris Chester’s side did manage to threaten from deep as Terry Campese’s offload allowed Welham to streak away but a poor end to the set summed up the Robin’s half and Hull FC, aided by a penalty, punished their rivals as skipper Gareth Ellis crashed over from Danny Houghton’s short pass to leave Sneyd with a simple conversion.

FC continued to attack down their left hand side but Dixon stood up to the test on the half hour mark, intercepting Yeaman’s pass and showing great pace to race 90 metres and touch down. Mantellato’s conversion cutting the gap to 16-12.

Despite this brief setback Hull FC restored their ten point lead to go into the break as Mark Minichiello showed superb upper body strength to power his way over the line.

The second half started with a bang as Hull FC punished their neighbours with back-to-back tries.

First Talanoa crossed for his second after some more quick handling and in the next set of six veteran halfback Leon Pryce dummied his way through the line before the ball found its way to Jordan Rankin who just had the legs to score.

The penalties slowly started to go in Rovers’ favour and their only period of ascendency followed.

Yet again they went the length of the field as Ken Sio broke and found Dixon who touched down for his second try and minutes later Mantellato also bagged his second try to threaten a comeback.

However the game soon reverted to type and Talanoa completed his treble after Houghton cleverly broke from dummy-half.

Five minutes later and Houghton yet again turned the provider as smart work from a tap restart allowed Yeaman to crash over for his second try of the match.

Things went from bad to worse for the Robins as Kevin Larroyer had to be carried off with a nasty looking knee injury.

With a glum looking Chris Chester looking on, FC looked to bring up the half century but the game petered out.

The final score allows the black and white’s supporters to celebrate their biggest ever victory over their fierce rivals in Super League.

Freelance journalist. Wannabe rock'n'roll star. Yorkshireman. Order subject to change.

Latest News


More in Super League

Translate »