Parramatta Eels legend Mick Cronin OAM has been awarded Life Membership to the New South Wales Rugby League at today’s (Wednesday, 8 March) Annual General Meeting at Sydney Olympic Park.
Cronin has provided an extended period of outstanding service to Rugby League, most notably as a stalwart centre for Parramatta between 1977-86, representing NSW and Australia.
“If there was ever a deserving person who has devoted so much of his life and energy to the game of Rugby League, Mick Cronin is that person,” said Geoff Gerard, NSWRL Director and former Eels teammate.
“As a player Michael had unbelievable awareness. He was wise, strong and he was the ultimate professional, as well as a great person.”
Cronin’s involvement within Rugby League extends beyond his playing career at Parramatta. He coached the club between 1990-93 before moving back to his home town of Gerringong where he coached the Gerringong Lions Juniors (1994-2008) and First Grade side (2009-16).
In 2007 Cronin was inducted into the Australian Rugby League Hall of Fame before he was selected as one of the 100 greatest Rugby League players of all time in 2008.
Mick Cronin OAM’s achievements:
· 216 First Grade appearances with Parramatta (1977-86)
· Four premierships with Parramatta (1981, 82, 83, 86)
· Six State of Origin appearances for NSW
· 33 Tests and World Cup appearances for Australia
· Rothmans Medal winner (1977 and 1978)
· Inductee to the Australian Rugby League Hall of Fame (2007)
· Selected as one of the 100 greatest ever Rugby League players (2008)
· Coached Gerringong’s First Grade side to four premierships and three grand finals (2009 – 16).
/ 16 hours ago
Two teams who were round one losers met at Suzuki Stadium in unseasonably warm...
/ 17 hours ago
The Manly Sea Eagles have massacred the Parramatta Eels 54-0 in blazing hot conditions...
/ 2 days ago
The Warriors are now two-from-two following an impressive victory in their first home game...
/ 2 days ago
Penrith Panthers have overcome a 14-0 half-time deficit to defeat South Sydney Rabbitohs at...