Connect with us

Super League Match Report

Super League Round 19 Review

Hull FC have jumped into second place in the Super League after picking up their fourth straight victory in all competitions.
Lee Radford’s side ran out 40-18 winners against a Wakefield side which is now out of the top four. Hull started well and went 10-0 up inside the opening 20 minutes thanks to tries from Jamie Shaul and Fetuli Talanoa.
Chris Chester’s side bounced back and took a 12-10 lead before half time as James Batchelor and Sam Williams got themselves on the scoresheet.
The away side carried their momentum over into the second half and even increased their lead when Reece Lyne scored to make it 18-10 for Trinity.
However, it was at that point where the wheels began to fall off and five unanswered tries for Hull sent the Wakefield faithful home with nothing to show for their first half efforts.
The defeat now leaves Trinity out of the top four as they look to regain their focus. Hull, on the other hand, move into second place after maintaining their good recent record against Wakefield. That is now six straight wins over the West Yorkshire side.
On the other side of the country, St. Helens and Salford Red Devils were involved in an absolute thriller. Justin Holbrook’s side picked up a last minute 25-24 victory against a Salford side which has now lost three in a row.
After 30 minutes St. Helens were 8-2 up following a Matty Smith try and a couple of goals from Mark Percival. 
But the Devils fought their way back and a Niall Evalds try on the half time whistle saw both sides go into the break with 8 points each.
At the restart, it was the visitors who dominated proceedings. Three tries and a couple of goals saw Salford go 8-24 in front with 25 minutes remaining.
However, as soon as Ian Watson’s side took their foot off the gas, St. Helens began to work their way back into the match.
The home side scored three tries in a space of five minutes to level the match 24-24 with seconds remaining. But Holbrook’s side weren’t finished there as Matty Smith sent a drop goal through the posts in the dying moments of the game to earn a huge couple of points for his side.
The win leaves the Lancashire side only five points off fourth placed Leeds Rhinos with whom they play next. Salford meanwhile, drop to third in the table as they look to re-discover their winning ways. Next for them is a home match with a resurgent Huddersfield Giants who will be no push overs.
Saturday’s only Super League match was a bottom of the table affair as Warrington Wolves and Catalans Dragons clashed. In the end, it was the Wolves who came out on top following a 24-16 victory.
Tony Smith’s side went behind after just two minutes but slowly and surely, they fought their way back with tries from Benjamin Julien and Ryan Atkins.
Catalans Richie Myler, who is heavily linked with a move to the Leeds Rhinos, scored twice but it wasn’t enough as Warrington ensured the victory with second half tries from Atkins and Andre Savelio.
This result didn’t change much in the context of the league table as both sides are still in the bottom four. However, Warrington’s win means they are now just three points off a spot in the top 8. 

Latest News


More in Super League Match Report

Translate »