North Queensland are in the midst of an injury crisis. With either 15 players in doubt or ruled out completely for next weekend’s do or die clash against Cronulla, Cowboys coach Paul Green will seek dispensation from the NRL today as his second-tier salary cap is stretched to breaking point as a result of the injury crisis the club are currently in.
However, what is even more remarkable is the fact that North Queensland have still managed to keep themselves in each and every contest this season despite the fact they’ve been hindered by injury. Just last weekend, the club lost to the Penrith Panthers by just one try – even though international duo Justin O’Neill and Michael Morgan didn’t see out the first half while Kane Linnett and Jake Granville missed time in the second stanza due to HIA’s.
With just one win away from cementing themselves a finals berth, the Cowboys have done remarkably well to be in the position they are in now and all credit should go to Green.
With the team showing amazing spirit in the face of hardship for the umpteenth time against Penrith, it is evident Green has instilled a great culture at the club and has put them in a great position in the years to come. Adversity builds strength and courage – North Queensland will be the team to beat in 2018.
North Queensland 2017 key statistics:
- The Cowboys have won 7 games without Johnathan Thurston this season.
- The Cowboys have won 10 games without co-captain Matthew Scott this season.
- Kane Linnett, Ethan Lowe, Kyle Feldt, Scott Bolton & John Asiata are the only Cowboys not to miss any possible games due to injury this season.
- The Cowboys have used 30 players this season – the most they’ve used since the 2010 season.
- The Cowboys have won 12 games this season and need just one more win from their final three games to cement themselves a finals berth.
- The Cowboys have up to 15 players in doubt for selection this week against the Cronulla Sharks.
- The Cowboys have lost their past three games in a row.
Cowboys Casualty Ward
Johnathan Thurston (Shoulder) Season
Matthew Scott (Knee) Season
Gavin Cooper (Calf) Round 25
Michael Morgan (Concussion) Indefinite
Lachlan Coote (Knee) Indefinite
Justin O’Neill (Elbow) Finals Week 3
Antonio Winterstein (Hamstring) Round 26
Te Maire Martin (Knee) Indefinite
Shaun Fensom (Knee) Indefinite
Kane Linnett (Concussion) Monitored
Jake Granville (Concussion) Monitored
Ray Thompson (Knee) Retired
Ben Spina (Bicep) Season
Pat Kaufusi (Foot) Season
Josh Chudleigh (Knee) Season
Shaun Hudson (Knee) Season