Connect with us

Hull FC

SUPER 8s MATCH REPORT | Warrington Wolves 80–10 Hull FC

Warrington bounced back from Wembley defeat with an 80-10 thrashing of an abysmal Hull. Here’s our verdict…


Warrington Wolves bounced back from their Challenge Cup final defeat in superb style, recording an 80-10 win over an abysmal Hull FC.

The scoreline is a record Super League defeat for the Black and Whites, with the Wire running in 14 tries including five for Bryson Goodwin.

They were on the board inside three minutes, with Mike Cooper’s offload allowing the Wolves to move the ball right with Toby King slipping in Josh Charnley to speed down the touchline and finish.

Toby King and Josh Charnley, Warrington Wolves. Photo credit: Getty Images.

There were few signs of what was to come when Hull levelled things up, as King failed to take a Jordan Abdull kick under pressure from Fetuli Talanoa, and the winger was able to touch down.

King quickly made up for that error to put his side back in front by claiming a kick ahead of Carlos Tuimavave for a try, with the video referee confirming there was no offside.

The lead was extended two minutes later when the ball was moved left and a long Stefan Ratchford pass sent Tom Lineham away, with the winger passing back inside for Goodwin to score his first.

The centre was the scorer of their next as well, running onto the pass of Kevin Brown and through a soft Hull defence.

The disarray was summed up by the next try when Talanoa and Jamie Shaul tried to catch the same ball, with neither succeeding and King tasking advantage for his second.

Jack Hughes then forced his way through half-hearted tackles to make it 34-6 at the break.

Things didn’t get any better for Hull at the start of the second half with two more tries inside five minutes, the first coming from a Daryl Clark break and kick that Goodwin chased in behind for his hat-trick.

Bryson Goodwin, Warrington Wolves. Photo credit: Getty Images.

The Australian then took his personal tally up to four by charging inside through another gap in the defence.

The visitors managed some form of consolation when Liam Harris slipped Josh Griffin through a gap, and for a while it looked as though they have finally settle themselves into the match.

It was 20 minutes between the Wolves’ previous score and their next, but when Joe Philbin went over from dummy half that opened the floodgates once more for an embarrassing final 15.

Warrington were denied a try when Charnley raced onto his kick and touched down, with the referee already mistakenly blowing for a penalty, but within a minute the winger had his second score as some brilliant hands played him into space to drive into the corner.

Tyrone Roberts, Warrington Wolves. Photo credit: Getty Images.

A great pass from Ratchford then put Roberts in the clear for another try, before Brown played a great grubber into the left corner for Lineham to touch down.

Ratchford then skipped inside through the line to add his name to the scoresheet, with a fifth try for Goodwin rounding things off in the final minute after a break and kick infield from Lineham.

Roberts added his 12th conversion of the match on the hooter to bring up 80 points for the Wolves.


Quite some response

This was seen is a crucial game for Warrington, following on from disappointment at Wembley with league points crucial in the race for the top four with in-form Huddersfield in the rear-view mirrors.

Steve Price could not have got any better a response from his players though, putting on the biggest score of the season to show how creative they can be on their day.

Much of what was witnessed must come down to the deficiencies of Hull, but Warrington never slacked off as they dug the knife in further and gave it quite the twist too, to the delight of the fans.

After a disappointing week, the smiles are back and confidence will be sky high again.

Hull are in crisis

When Hull FC lost 72-10 at Wakefield last month it was a massive shock, and while the losing run has continued since (now standing at seven) it still looked like that was just a bad day at the office that would be learned from and then forgotten.

What is clear is that that performance was no anomaly, and surely now there must be some kind of real response after a club record number of points conceded in a Super League game.

Mark Minichiello Hull FC. Photo credit: Getty Images.

From the very start the defence was absolutely awful. There was no organisation, no communication, and no direction. Nobody wanted to make a tackle, and they simply got run over, time and time and time again.

For a club that began the season with Grand Final ambitions, it has been a horrendous end to the season. Lee Radford may be running out of time to sort things out.

Man of the Match – Bryson Goodwin (Warrington Wolves)

There were plenty of exceptional performances for Warrington but Man of the Match can only go to Bryson Goodwin.

Both centres were on top form with Toby King grabbing a brace of tries himself, but Goodwin took full advantage of the mess in front of him with a whopping five tries.

He always looked like scoring when near the try line, as did Warrington overall, and he also did his share of defensive duties early in the game before taking the lead role in the rout.


Warrington Wolves 80
Tries: Charnley (2), King (2), Goodwin (5), Hughes, Philbin, Roberts, Lineham, Ratchford
Goals: Roberts (12)
Drop Goals: n/a

Hull FC 10
Tries: Talanoa, Griffin
Goals: Faraimo
Drop Goals: n/a


Warrington: Ratchford; Lineham, Goodwin, T King, Charnley; Brown, Roberts; Hill, Clark, Cooper, Murdoch-Masila, Thompson, Hughes.

Interchanges: Patton, Philbin, G King, Pomeroy.

Hull FC: Shaul; Faraimo, Griffin, Tuimavave, Talanoa; Adbull, Harris; Taylor, Houghton, Paea; Washbrook, Hadley, Manu.

Interchanges: Bienek, Lane, Litten, Matongo.

Referee: Liam Moore

I am a 19-year-old Sports Journalism student at the University of Huddersfield. I cover a lot of rugby league, following Hull FC and Huddersfield Giants and working for Halifax RLFC. If you want to see more of my ramblings on rugby and football then follow me on Twitter @stibbo99.


More in Hull FC

Translate »
%d bloggers like this: