Here’s tonight’s major announcements at the Panthers Membership forum held in the Chairman’s Lounge at Centrebet Stadium tonight:
- Panthers club will make a ‘significant profit’ in the next twelve months.
- Ivan Cleary’s contract as Panthers coach is extended until the end of the 2016 season. Read more at http://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news-display/PENRITH-PANTHERS-MAJOR-ANNOUNCEMENT/83096
- Former club coach and player great Royce Simmons will return to Penrith as part of the marketing team in 2014.
4. Over a dozen juniors are set to play NRL in the next three years – this development can be likened to the five international players in five years that led to the 1991 maiden Premiership win.
5. Penrith has been removed from the logo. The logo only contains the word “Panthers”.
6. Reduction in season ticket prices across the board in 2014. Penrith have failed to attract crowds despite promotions by the club with cheaper ticketing.
7. Panthers to ask the NRL for more Saturday night games to attract crowds.
What does it all mean…
Phil Gould’s understands Penrith and his return to the club has been with its moments both good and bad. The news tonight has been fantastic and a lot of it comes down to businessman Gould. Ivan Cleary’s contract extension is the biggest news. He will have the luxury of a great junior nursery with an influx of youth to play NRL in the next few years. Cleary has been a great addition to the club after the Matt Elliott era. Royce Simmons returns in a marketing role. A perfect appointment which is set to get sponsorship coming through the club. What will cause most debate is the logo only displaying the word “Panthers” with “Penrith” removed. This will take a lot of convincing for long-time Penrith fans to digest.