NRL match review: South Sydney Rabbitohs 14 Canterbury Bulldogs 15


South Sydney Rabbitohs 14 (S Burgess, J Sutton tries, A Reynolds 3 goals)

Canterbury Bulldogs 15 (M Brown C Thompson tries; Hodkinson 3 goals, Hodkinson field goal)

Match Review

A Trent Hodkinson field goal has made the Canterbury Bulldogs a part of history, as they became the first team to win three games in a row by just one point courtesy of their 15-14 victory over South Sydney in front of 43 255 fans at ANZ Stadium.

Following a 9-8 win over the roosters, and a 21-20 triumph against the warriors the previous fortnight, the Dogs again left it late to run over the top of a brave but battered bunnies side.

The game was controversial at times, with the obstruction rule coming under fire, after the Bulldogs were denied a try after Josh Morris was deemed to have ran behind a defender, despite the opposition not attempting to make a tackle, before a try was allowed to Corey Thompson despite defender John Sutton appearing to have been interfered with in the lead up.

The early signs were good for the red and green, who managed to go in at half time with an eight nil lead.

The first points weren’t on the board until the half hour mark, when Adam Reynolds took the offered two points following a ruck infringement right under the sticks.

Six minutes later, Burgess charged over  the top of a stranded Hodkinson from close range.

The Bulldogs hit back after half time, with a Hodkinson cut out pass finding Sam Perrett, the fill in dogs fullback passing to winger Mitch Brown who dived over untouched in the corner, Hodkinson nailing the difficult conversion attempt.

From a drop out, Sam Burgess recieved the ball and charged with desire at the Bulldogs line, inspiring a lift in the South Sydney side.

John Sutton then put his hand up for a desperate run, carrying defenders to the line, before reaching out and scoring.

However the injury concerns mounted for the bunnies with  to Dave Tyrell, Joe Picker and Kyle Turner all spending time off the field and hookerApisai Koroisau not returning after leaving the field in the first half with a shoulder injury, the Rabbitohs were always going to find it tough to hold their lead.

And in the 68th minute, the bulldogs came roaring back in to the contest, a shift to the right allowing Thompson to score, despite the possible obstruction on John Sutton in the lead up to the play.

Once again, Hodkinson’s boot was pin point, leaving the dogs trailing by just two.

The boot of Hodkinson then locked the game at 14 a piece following a penalty in their next set when the winger Nathan Merritt spilled the ball into an offside Kirisome Auva’a.

And after 78 minutes it was Hodkinson again, setting up for the field goal from twenty metres out, to give the dogs the lead for the first time in the game, and one that they would not relinquish.

Other Articles

Leave a Reply

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Translate »