UPDATE: Official – Todd Carney sacked after being in hot water over photo


The Cronulla Shark Football Club has today after careful consideration and lengthy deliberation, including discussions with senior NRL management, made a decision to terminate Todd Carney’s NRL playing contract effective immediately.

At the Sharks we are committed to building a successful club, a club with strong values and a club which sets and respects high standards in all aspects of its operations and activities.

When Todd was first signed to the Sharks he was made well aware of his responsibilities both on and off the field, to himself, the club and to the game in general, however the photograph that appeared last night on social media does not meet the values and standards the club is looking to uphold and take into the future.

As with any difficult decision, whilst you can’t change the past, it is important to put measures in place that can deliver positive outcomes both in the present and into the future.

The club and the NRL will be committed to working with Todd, his family and his management in implementing appropriate counseling and support, with the start of this process to begin tonight.


Reports circulating that Todd Carney has been sacked from Cronulla despite no official statement from the Cronulla club, or the National Rugby League.  Steve Noyce is denying Carney has been sacked.


The controversial career of Todd Carney entered another dangerous phase after the circulation of a lewd photo through Social Media.  Cronulla Sharks chief Steve Noyce has spoken to the National Rugby League about the matter after he was made aware of the photo.

Carney, 28 has a long history of off-field incidents which started at Canberra as far back at 2006 when he was caught drink driving.  In 2007 he was caught drink driving when having his license suspended.  Carney was alleged to have urinated on a patron of a Canberra club in 2008.  This ultimately led to Carney’s Raiders contract being torn up, and banned from playing in the National Rugby League until 2010.

In Feburary 2009 the problems continued for Carney as he caused damage to property in Goulburn and assault in Atherton when playing for the local side.  The problems continued at the Roosters and after two years at the club was transferred to Cronulla.  Carney was signed to a five year contract in 2013.

Carney was part of Cronulla’s come from behind win over Brisbane on Friday night.

[socialpoll id=”2208693″]

Other Articles


Leave a Reply

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Translate »