Super League match review: Widnes Vikings 20-40 Castleford Tigers


Widnes Vikings Try Scorers: Flynn, Galea, Ah Van, Dean

Goals: Tickle 2/3, Ah Van 0/1

Castleford Tigers Try Scorers: Dorn, Holmes, Clark 3, Shenton 2

Goals: Sneyd 6/7

Match Review

Daryl Clark scored a sensational hat-trick as Castleford Tigers kept up their push for a top four finish with a 20-40 win at the Select Security Stadium over Widnes Vikings.

Castleford raced to a 0-18 lead which made the game an uphill battle throughout for the home side who are now clinging on to eighth position in the Super League table.

Widnes will be disappointed that they allowed Castleford an 18 point lead early on yet they only have themselves to blame as the one on one defence displayed was unacceptable at times.

Castleford were clinical and pounced on every error the Vikings made as they outlined their top four credentials with a big victory against their Challenge Cup semi-final opponents.

It took just two minutes for Castleford to open the scoring as the inform Luke Dorn was on hand to support Ellis, who sliced through some feeble defence to feed the on rushing Dorn. Sneyd kicked the conversion to make it 0-6.

It didn’t take long for Castleford to extend their lead as from the next set Shenton broke out wide before passing to Oliver Holmes, who finished off a long range try. Sneyd made no mistakes with his goal attempt, making it 0-12.

The third try came from a terrible kick chase by the Vikings defence after a good kick from Clarke. Dixon broke through the non-existent Widnes line before handing the ball to Daryl Clark who finished the break. The conversion made it 0-18.

The forth try of the game was Widnes’ first as the trademark cut out pass from Kevin Brown found Paddy Flynn who stepped his way over the try line. Danny Tickle kicked from the corner to cut the deficit to 12 points.

Widnes had their best spell of the game as they started to play more expansively and were rewarded when Willie Isa forced a repeat set when he tackle Dorn in his own in-goal area. From the resulting set Kevin Brown was the provider again as his flat ball was charged onto by Danny Galea who could not be stopped. Danny Tickle made it 12-18.

The 12 point advantage was reinstated when Sneyd chipped over the Vikings defence with no one alert to the danger before re-gathering his own kick. He then found the supporting Shenton who finished off the last tackle play to make the half time score 12-22 in favour of the Tigers.

The second half was well contested early on and Widnes got the first score of the half with a sensational effort from Patty Ah Van as he powered over after supporting Hanbury who broke from deep in his own half. Tickle couldn’t convert from the touchline as Widnes went within six points.

Widnes were in control and were controversially denied a try which would have tied the scores as Patty Ah Van intercepted to go the length of the field only to be denied by the linesman for offside.

Daryl Clark then came up with some magic for his second try of the game as he broke through the middle from inside his own half before rounding Ah Van to stretch the Tigers’ lead to 12 points.

Widnes started to crumble and when Shenton caught out a scrambling defence to score an easy try it was all but over for the Vikings. Sneyd kicked the conversion to make it 16-34.

The icing was on the cake when man of the match Clark completed his hat-trick by picking up a loose ball after a Vikings knock on as he raced away to score.

Chris Dean crossed for a consolation effort after Dave Allen gave him a drop off ball to create a gap for the centre to penetrate. His four pointer was the games’ last score as Castleford came away with a 20-40 victory.

Other Articles

Leave a Reply

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Translate »