Super League match review: Widnes Vikings 28-14 Warrington Wolves


Widnes Vikings 28
Tries: Owens 2, Hanbury, Flynn, Phelps
Goals: Tickle 4/6

Warrington Wolves 14
Tries: Atkins, Bridge, Currie
Goals: Bridge 1/3

Match Review

Vikings Do It For Pat

Widnes Vikings produced an outstanding performance on an emotional night as they beat Warrington Wolves 28-14 to end their run of nine Super League wins.

Both sets of fans were brilliant in remembering a Widnes legend in Pat Price, who died last week to the shock of not only the whole town but the rugby league community.

Pat was ever present through the highs and lows and optimised what being a true, dedicated and loyal supporter means.

It was a fitting tribute as both sets of fans sang her name and stood as one for a minutes applause before kick off.

Widnes came out of the blocks flying and took the visiting Wolves by surprise. They turned early pressure into points when Jack Owens crossed in the corner after some good play ended in the returning winger finding his way over for the opener.

The game was at 6-0 for the majority of the first half as Widnes limited Warrington’s chances to a few.

Two quick scores sent the home side into the break 16-0 up though as first Hanbury found a gap when a Galea offload found it’s way to Hep Cahill before the loose forward created the try for Hanbury.

Then with the last play of the half Paddy Flynn found some space out wide thanks to a brilliant pass from Hanbury as his quick hands meant Flynn could cross for a try.

Widnes started as they left off in the second half and when Paddy Flynn scooped up a Warrington knock on, his quick break paved the way for centre Phelps to score. Tickle added a penalty to put the home side in dreamland as they led 24-0.

The fans in the North and South stand were pinching themselves however, any thoughts they were having about nilling Warrington were cut short by Ryan Atkins. He capitalised on a slip by Stefan Marsh from a scum and raced away to score in front of the travelling supporters.

They then made it back to back tries when Chris Bridge found a gaping hole in the Widnes defence to put Warrington back in the contest.

Jack Owens was next over the try line as he grabbed a second try of the night as he combined with Kevin Brown, who’s perfect chip to the corner early in the tackle count caught Warrington off guard and was collected by the young Widnes winger.

Ben Currie’s try with ten minutes to go put pressure on Widnes and they would have been clear but for a wrongly disallowed Marsh try, however the home side held out for a famous 28-14 victory.

Other Articles

Leave a Reply

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Translate »