NRL match review: Canberra Raiders 33-20 Parramatta Eels


Canberra Raiders 33
Tries: Hawkins, Buttriss, Tupou, Vaughan, McCrone
Goals: Crocker 6/6
Field Goal: Milford

Parramatta Eels 20
Tries: Sio 2, Hayne 2
Goals: Sandow 2/4

Match Review

Parramatta Eels’ season is over after they were disappointing against the in-form Canberra Raiders, who bowed out in style in front of their own supporters and gave Brett White the send-off he deserved with a 33-20 victory.

The Raiders finish the season with three wins in a row as they avoided the wooden spoon with their late season form however back to back defeats for the Eels ensured they wouldn’t be playing finals football this year.

The Green Machine were on top for the majority of the match and suffered a scare when the Eels scored three tries in five minutes but it wasn’t enough to turn around what was a poor display from the visitors.

Parramatta will be proud of their progress this season yet they will be disappointed at how their end of season form has cost them a place in the eight and a chance to extend their season beyond round 26.

Canberra opened the scoring as Jeremy Hawkins scored his first NRL try when Mitch Cornish came up with a great pass to put the centre through a hole in the Eels defence.

Parramatta were then sliced open too easily when Joel Edwards broke from deep and Glen Buttriss was on hand to finish off the break with his first try of the season.

A controversial call from Klein handed the Raiders a chance to extend their lead as he ruled a knock on from Radradra when it appeared the ball went backwards. Crocker took the opportunity to kick the penalty goal and made the score 14-0.

The Raiders came up with an error in a very dangerous position from the next set of six and the Eels made them pay as Jarryd Hayne found Ken Sio out wide and the winger showed great strength to force his way over in the corner.

Parramatta went close to making it back to back tries however it was the Raiders who crossed next when Edrick Lee knocked back a kick to Crocker and he fired out a pass to the unmarked Bill Tupou who finished well out wide.

Crocker knocked over another conversion to send Canberra in at the break 20-6 ahead.

The Eels came out for the second half with their season in the balance and started the better of the two teams but couldn’t convert pressure into points.

Canberra made Parramatta’s task even tougher when Paul Vaughan stormed through a weak Eels defence to reach out and score next to the posts.

Josh McCrone went from provider to scorer as he heaped more misery onto the Eels when he forced his way over from dummy half past some poor Parramatta defending.

Parramatta received some good fortune when Hayne knocked the ball forward but got a boot to the ball before it hit the ground and grounded the loose ball for a try to make the last 20 minutes more interesting.

Hayne then set the Eels up for back to back tries when he broke from his own half to give his side great field position. They were handed another six tackles however they only needed one as Hayne came up with an outstanding one handed catch before he put Ken Sio in for another try.

Jarryd Hayne was involved again as the Eels made it three tries in five minutes when he released Semi Radradra out wide before backing up inside to score and give them hope of a comeback.

Parramatta threw everything they had at Canberra for the last 15 minutes of the game but it proved to be the last 15 minutes of their season as the Raiders were outstanding in defence and repelled everything the Eels hit them with.

Anthony Milford sealed a third straight win for Canberra Raiders with a field goal to end their season on a high and to end Parramatta’s season with a 33-20 victory.


Other Articles

Leave a Reply

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Translate »