Four Nations Final Review: New Zealand 22 Australia 18

New Zealand 22
Tries: Manu Vatuvei 2, Jason Nightingale, Shaun Johnson
Goals: Shaun Johnson 3

Australia 18
Tries: Michael Jennings, Sione Mata’utia, Ben Hunt
Goals: Cameron Smith 3/3

A Shaun Johnson masterclass has guided New Zealand to a 22-18 victory over Australia in the 2014 Four Nations Final at Westpac Stadium in Wellington tonight.

In an end-to-end contest, the Kiwis led 14-6 at half time, and 22-12 with less than 20 minutes remaining in an absorbing contest.

A Kiwis error off a Cooper Cronk bomb allowed Kangaroos centre Michael Jennings to score the opening try, converted by Cameron Smith for a 6-0 lead after 12 minutes.

The home side hit back when a sweeping play allowed winger Jason Nightingale to score his 5th try of the tournament. In windy conditions, Shaun Johnson converted to tie the game up at 6-all after 23 minutes.

The Kiwis hit the lead via a Johnson penalty goal in the 28th minute and winger Manu Vatuvei powered his way over the line in the 34th minute. Another brilliant sideline conversion by Johnson gave them a well-deserved 8-point lead at half time.

Desperate to stay in the match, the Kangaroos took just two minutes to score in the second half when Daly Cherry-Evans burst through from close range and set up Sione Mata’utia out wide. Despite some concerns over a possible obstruction, the try was awarded and Smith’s conversion made it 14-12.

A brilliant individual try to Johnson in the 57th minute swung momentum back to the home side. Drifting down the right side, a sublime show-and-go put him clear before terrific footwork and outstanding speed took him past Greg Inglis for a great try. He was unable to convert and the Kiwis led 18-12.

In the 63rd minute Johnson was the provider of Vatuvei’s second; his superior footwork kept the Kangaroos’ defence at bay before a 30 metre pass to Vatuvei, who showed great skill for a big man to pick the ball up inches from the ground and crash over in the corner to make it 22-12.

The Kangaroos were forced to play ad-lib football to stay in the contest and with 4 minutes remaining quick hands down the right side eventually saw Ben Hunt dive over to make it 22-18 to give the Kangaroos an outside chance of snatching victory. Unfortunately Smith was unable to convert and the Kiwis recorded a famous victory.

Other Articles

Leave a Reply

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Translate »