Super League Round up – Round 3

So the dust has finally settled over a 3-0 World Club Series defeat and it was back to Super League this weekend with round three of the competition serving up a few shocks.

It was a week in which Gareth Hock was in the spotlight, as was a supposedly colour changing dress, with the troubled second rower parting company with Salford Red Devils and Leigh Centurions taking him into their arms and offering him yet another lifeline.

In case there is any confusion the dress which littered the internet on Friday wasn’t Hock’s. Wow Gaz Hock in a dress, imagine that. Scary!

Anyway onto the action and it was over to Headingley as Leeds Rhinos marked the return of Super League with a victory over Huddersfield Giants.

Leeds Rhinos 28-24 Huddersfield Giants

Both these sides have 100% records but unfortunately for Huddersfield theirs is a losing one after they fell just short of a first victory in 2015, as Leeds made it three wins in three.

The Rhinos got off to a great start and went 18-0 up through tries from Carl Ablett, Adam Cuthbertson and Ryan Hall.

Huddersfield went into the break a converted try behind as Jamie Ellis and Joe Wardle crashed over but a spectacular effort from Tom Briscoe just after the break stretched the home side’s advantage to 10.

The Giants fought back to lead with Danny Brough’s boot putting them in front as he converted tries from Kyle Wood and Brett Ferres and looked certain to have fought back to win.

Unfortunately for the winless visitors though a late Paul Aiton score condemned the visitors to a dramatic third straight defeat.

St Helens 21-14 Castleford Tigers

Saints bounced back from their 39-0 drubbing at the hands of South Sydney Rabbitohs to defeat Castleford Tigers although the champions were far from their best.

The visitors were poor too and they were punished for their error stricken performance as they slumped to a third defeat of the season.

Adam Swift opened the scoring off the back of a Jordan Tansey knock-on and Tommy Makinson’s try sent his side into the break 10-0 up.

The lead was 14 when Justin Carney’s brain fart gifted Josh Jones a try as the Cas winger threw a ridiculous wayward pass on his own 20 metre line, before he then scored twice to put his side back in the game.

Saints went down to 12 as Kyle Amor was sent to the bin but that didn’t stop Mark Percival scoring the next try of the game. Jon Wilkin’s drop goal put the game out of sight before Tansey grabbed a late consolation try.

Catalans Dragons 38-18 Warrington Wolves

The first upset of the weekend came in France as Todd Carney made his Super League debut, but it was his half-back partner Scott Dureau who guided the Dragons to a huge victory over Warrington Wolves.

Catalans took an 18-0 lead into the break as first half scores from Willie Tonga and a double from Vincent Duport saw the home side take control.

The second half saw the Wolves fight back through Joel Monaghan and Gary Wheeler to get within six of the French side but that was as close as they got.

Dureau kicked a penalty before two tries in three minutes from Zeb Taia all but killed off the game.

Warrington plugged away and were rewarded when Joe Philbin scored, but Michael Oldfield grabbed the last try of the game to confirm back to back wins for the Dragons.

Salford Red Devils 32-28 Hull FC

A Hock-less Salford Red Devils got their first victory of the campaign against Hull FC as Rangi Chase showed the skills which helped him pick up the Man of Steel award back in 2011.

Niall Evalds scored the opener and Theo Fages added a try soon after to put the Devils 10-0 up but they were pegged back when Jordan Rankin crossed for the visitors.

Evalds bagged his second before Adrian Morley’s yellow card for a high tackle gave Hull a man-advantage which they made the most through Jordan Thompson, with a Marc Sneyd penalty making it 16-14 at half-time.

Mason Caton-Brown was stretchered off after a collision with Mark Minichiello before the Airlie Birds took the lead for the first time thanks to Setaimata Sa.

It was short lived as Josh Griffin put his side back ahead and Chase then came up with a brilliant piece of skill to send him over for a second which was surely an early contender for try of the season.

Thompson’s second try for the visitors put them right back into it but Chase came up with a fourth try assist of the game to send Junior Sa’u over to get Salford off the mark in the league.

Hull KR 22-20 Wigan Warriors

Terry Campese led Hull KR to an incredible victory over Wigan Warriors as the home side fought back from 20-6 down to win 22-20.

The early exchanges saw Rovers dominate but an error stricken start to the game saw the deadlock remain until 23 minutes in, when Joe Burgess left a kick to go dead only for Ken Sio to sneak in and score.

The Warriors then posted 20 unanswered points as they notched up 14 of those before the break with Burgess redeeming himself to score, Lee Mossop crashing over through the middle and Josh Charnley scoring just before the hooter.

It took the visitors just a single minute to register their next score with George Williams sending his side to a 20-6 lead which should have been a winning position.

Hull KR had other ideas though as Sio picked up a second try before front rower Mitch Allgood put the hosts right back into the game.

Substitute Kieran Dixon scored eight minutes from time with only his second touch of the ball and Josh Mantellato third conversion sealed a dramatic first victory of the season for his side.

Widnes Vikings 58-16 Wakefield Wildcats

Widnes Vikings scored 10 tries to romp to a first win of the season, winning 58-16 and leaving fans wondering how they have made such had work of facing Wakefield Wildcats of late.

The Vikings had lost eight straight games against their round three opponents but finally got one over on the Wildcats to end their unbeaten run.

Joe Mellor opened the scoring and Kevin Brown scored either side of a Lloyd White try to put the home side 22-0 up.

Brown threw a wild ball which led to the Wildcats getting off the mark as Chris Riley intercepted, with the winger’s 80 metre break leading to a Richard Owen try.

Tickle knocked over a penalty before the break and Patrick Ah Van got the first points of the second period before White crossed for back-to-back tries to complete his hat-trick.

Widnes were in control but their relaxed attitude led to the visitors picking up two scores in quick succession through Matt Ryan and Chris Riley.

A fight back never materialised though as Brown’s kick sent Ah Van over for a second and on-loan Chris Clarkson grabbed a try of his own, with man of the match White rounding off a stellar performance with a fourth try and fourth goal to collect a 24 point haul.

Other Articles

Translate »