Tigers Condemn Wolves to Fourth Consecutive Defeat

Warrington Wolves 14-22 Castleford Tigers

Warrington 14 (10)
Tries: Ratchford, Atkins, Penny
Goals: O’Brien

Castleford 22 (10)
Tries: Tansey, Dorn, Milner, Roberts
Goals: Gale (3)

Match Review

Warrington slumped to their fourth consecutive defeat following a 22-14 loss to Castleford on Easter Monday.

A try from Jordan Tansey had given Castleford an early lead but the Wolves responded through Stefan Ratchford and Ryan Atkins. However, Luke Dorn’s effort three minutes before the break saw the sides go into the interval at 10 points apiece.

The score then remained level up until 65 minutes when Cas broke free with tries from Adam Milner and Ben Roberts. Kevin Penny pulled one back for Warrington but it was too little too late for the home side.

With both teams having lost their opening fixture of the Easter Weekend, getting back to winning ways was crucial. Warrington held most of the early possession but it was the Tigers who opened the scoring on six minutes. A looping pass out wide from Luke Gale found Jordan Tansey who went over in the corner.

However, 10 minutes later and Warrington hit back. A simple kick through the Tigers line from Gareth O’Brien was collected by Stefan Ratchford who went over underneath the sticks.

From the next play the Wolves were over again. Slick passing out wide saw the ball make its way to Kevin Penny who sprinted 60 metres before finding Ryan Atkins on his inside who, after bamboozling his way past Luke Dorn, went over to make the scoreline 10-4 to the home side.

On the stroke of half-time Cas were level, with Luke Dorn making his way through a huge gap on the Wolves’ try-line unchallenged. Gale converted to level the scoreline at 10-10 going into the interval.

With fatigue setting in and the sunshine scorching down on the Halliwell Jones Stadium many would have expected defensive lapses aplenty but both sides remained resilient.

It took until 65 minutes for the next try to be scored. Grant Millington broke through the Warrington defence on the half-way line before finding man-of-the-match Adam Milner on his inside to give the Tigers the advantage.

Just three minutes later and the visitors were over again with Ben Roberts powering his way past the scrambling Wolves defence. Gale converted giving Castleford a 22-10 lead with 10 minutes remaining.

The Wolves did respond through Kevin Penny but it came too late for Warrington to stage a comeback leaving the final score 14-22.

After a slow start to the season the Tigers have now leapfrogged Warrington into 8th spot as the Wolves slip out of the top eight following their fourth consecutive defeat.


Other Articles

Translate »