NRL Match Review: South Sydney Rabbitohs 14 Parramatta Eels 12


South Sydney Rabbitohs
Tries: Aaron Gray x2 and Cameron McInnes
Goals: Isaac Luke x1
Field Goals: Nil

Parramatta Eels
Tries:Brad Takairangi, Reece Robinson and Many Ma’u
Goals: Nil
Field Goals: Nil

Match Review

South Sydney Rabbitohs have ended the drought of losing games without Adam Reynolds after beating Parramatta in a tight game 14-12 at ANZ Stadium on Friday night.

The terrible conditions at ANZ Stadium resulted in many errors and unsuccessful conversions. The players had to significantly adjust to a different playing field especially without their teammates who are off on Origin duties.

The score was close throughout the night except both teams failed to convert majority of the tries they scored due to the horrendous conditions.

The game started off slowly but both teams looked fired up and ready for the challenge.

The Rabbitohs started off the game strongly and were given the first penalty of the game, three minutes in. The Eels defended their line well but were not rewarded as the Rabbitohs regained possession and in the eighth minute received another penalty.

Rabbitohs Aaron Gray utilised the penalties and went over to score the first points of the game. An unsuccessful conversion by Luke put the Rabbitohs in front by four points, 4-0.

Rabbitohs second rower Ben Lowe came off the field after being involved in an awkward tackle. When off the field he had scans and was assessed and unfortunately had suffered a G2 medial ligament tear.

In the 15th minute, the Parramatta Eels came back with brilliant work by Semi Radradra and Brad Takairangi. Radradra showed off his strength and amazed the crowd with his incredible leap and pass to Takairangi who went over the line to level the scoreboard, 4-4.

Chris Sandow also joined Isaac Luke with being unsuccessful with the conversion due to the difficult conditions.

Parramatta were very impressive defensively and were given a penalty in the 33rd minute due to George Burgess’ high contact on an Eels player. After a great pass by Luke Kelly, Reece Robinson was able to score behind the corner post. Parramatta Eels took the lead for the first time in the game, 8-4.

In the 39th minute Parramatta were given another penalty after the Rabbitohs held the tackle for too long, Sandow attempted a penalty goal but was unsuccessful.

The Parramatta Eels went into the half time break leading 8-4 against South Sydney Rabbitohs.

In the 46th minute, Joel Reddy was close to adding four more points to the scoreboard for his team but his legs were out of play and the video referee confirmed the no try.

In the 53rd minute the Parramatta Eels gave away two soft penalties to the Rabbitohs which resulted in Aaron Gray going over the line for the second time of the night.

In the 65th minute, Tom Burgess gave away a penalty after a high shot, this allowed Radradra to knock it backwards and Ma’u to successfully ground the ball, putting the Eels in the lead 12-8 in the 67th minute.

Reece Robinson attempted to convert but was also unsuccessful.

In the 74th minute, Chris McInnes found the gap and broke through the Eels defence and scored right under the post after Chris Sandow knocked on the ball twice. Sandow’s errors were very costly at this time of the game and played a huge part of how Rabbitohs made a comeback.

Isaac Luke finally was able to convert and put his team in the lead by two points, 14-12 with five minutes to go.

South Sydney Rabbitohs held on to the lead and beat Parramatta Eels at home in front of 11,658 fans.


Nothing But League’s Man of the Match: Aaron Gray


Other Articles

Super League News
NRL Match Previews
Translate »