Super League Round 19 Review

Thursday,18 June

Castleford Tigers 25-24 St Helens

Castleford 25 (10)

Tries: Carney, Solomona, Webster, Cook

Goals: Gale (4)

Drop Goals: Roberts

St Helens 24 (18)

Tries: Walsh, Walmsley, Greenwood, McDonnell

Goals: Percival (4)

A last-gasp drop-goal from Ben Roberts was enough to give Castleford their first win over St Helens in seven years.

Justin Carney put the Tigers ahead but Saints responded through Luke Walsh and Alex Walmsley. Joe Greenwood’s try gave the visitors an 18-10 lead at half-time, with a superb solo effort from Denny Solomona scoring for Cas.

Shannon McDonnell’s try in the second-half looked to have won the tie for St Helens but the Tigers hit-back through Jake Webster and Matt Cook.

A penalty from Luke Gale levelled the scores until Roberts’ drop-goal as the final hooter sounded gave the Tigers the two points.


Friday, 19 June

Hull KR 36-10 Warrington Wolves

Hull KR 36 (10)

Tries: Sio, Mantellato, Dixon, Salter, McCarthy, Welham

Goals: Mantellato (6)

Warrington 10 (6)

Tries: Hill, Ormsby

Goals: Patton

Hull KR kept alive their hopes of a top-eight finish with a comfortable 36-10 victory against Warrington.

Tries from Ken Sio and Josh Mantellato towards the end of the first half cancelled out Chris Hill’s earlier effort to give the Robins a 10-6 lead at the break.

Rovers then went on to dominate the second period with tries coming from Kieran Dixon, Liam Salter and Kris Welham.


Wigan Warriors 19-12 Salford Red Devils

Wigan 19 (0)

Tries: Burgess, Farrell, Sarginson

Goals: Smith (3)

Drop-goals: Smith

Salford 12 (6)

Tries: Paterson, G. Griffin

Goals: J. Griffin (2)

Wigan staged a second-half comeback to avoid an upset after a dogged performance from Salford at the DW Stadium.

Corey Paterson’s try was the only score of the first-half and George Griffin’s try early on after the interval suggested the Red Devils could take the two points.

The Warriors hit-back however through tries from Joe Burgess, Liam Farrell and Dan Sarginson. Matty Smith converted all three as well as landing a drop-goal to keep the pressure on Leeds and Saints at the top of the table.


Saturday, 20 June

Catalans Dragons 32-12 Wakefield Trinity Wildcats

Catalans 32 (12)

Tries: Pomeroy, Inu, Pelissier, Escare, Anderson

Goals: Dureau (6)

Wakefield 12 (0)

Tries: Riley, Godinet

Goals: Miller (2)

Wakefield slipped to their 16th consecutive league defeat despite a strong display in the south of France.

Ben Pomeroy and debutant Krisnan Inu had given the Dragons a 12-0 half-time lead but Wakefield hit back through Chris Riley and Pita Godinet.

Scott Dureau’s penalty gave Catalans a narrow lead heading into the final ten minutes before the home-side proved too strong for the Wildcats as Eloi Pelissier, Morgan Escare and Louis Anderson sealed the win.


Sunday, 21 June

Widnes Vikings 22-30 Huddersfield Giants

Widnes 22 (10)

Tries: Ah Van, Owens, Brown (2)

Goals: Owens (3)

Huddersfield 30 (6)

Tries: Ta’ai, Kopczak, Hughes, Robinson, Broughton

Goals: Brough (4), Ellis

12-man Huddersfield proved too strong for Widnes as they edged past the Vikings on Sunday.

Patrick Ah Van went over for the hosts early on before Huddersfield went down to 12-men following the dismissal of Brett Ferres for punching Rhys Hanbury.

Jack Owens then converted his own try to give Widnes a 10-6 half-time lead, with Ukuma Ta’ai responding for the Giants.

Second-half scores from Craig Kopczak, Jack Hughes, Luke Robinson and Jodie Broughton saw the game swing Huddersfield’s way, with Kevin Brown’s two tries not enough to move the Vikings up into the top-eight.


Leeds Rhinos 32-20 Hull FC

Leeds 32 (16)

Tries: McGuire, Moon (2), Keinhorst, Ablett

Goals: Sutcliffe, Sinfield (5)

Hull FC 20 (6)

Tries: Thompson, Haughton, Naughton, Talanoa

Goals: Sneyd (2)

Leeds returned to the top of the table following a hard-fought win over Hull FC.

The Rhinos led 16-6 at the break thanks to tries from Danny McGuire, Joel Moon and Jimmy Keinhorst, with Jordan Thompson going over for Hull.

Curtis Naughton’s try had given the black and whites hope early in the second period before Moon added his second.

Tries from Danny Houghton and Fetuli Talanoa kept Hull in the contest but two penalties from Kevin Sinfield and Carl Ablett’s late try were enough to take Leeds back to the top.

Other Articles

Translate »