Tragedy strikes Intrust Super Cup weekend

The Queensland Rugby League community has been plunged into more sadness this weekend as the Sunshine Coast Falcon’s James Ackerman passed away after suffering a head injury in the game at Bishop Park on Saturday evening.  Just two short weeks after the death of Grant Giess from the Easts Tigers, everyone involved in the Intrust Super Cup was hoping for there was going to be a positive outcome.  Unfortunately this was not the case as it was announced on Monday he had not survived.

In a dreadful Saturday afternoon for incidents, there was also the frightening collapse of Marmin Barba in the Jets clash with the Central Capras. Thankfully for the try scoring machine it was severe dehydration, and at least one good piece of good news.

The sun shone on Sunday, and espceically at Tapout Energy Stadium as a big crowd welcomed the Easts Tigers’ first home game since Grant Giess’ passing, and they honoured their halfback in the best way possible with a good win over quality opposition in Mackay.

With the abandonment of the Norths-Sunshine Coast, there were just the 5 games to complete the round, and a brief rundown on those can be found below.


P W D L B F A +/-
Townsville Blackhawks 15 12 0 2 1 534 202 332 26
Ipswich Jets 15 11 0 3 1 456 300 156 24
PNG Hunters 15 11 0 3 1 406 308 98 24
Wynnum Manly Seagulls 15 10 0 4 1 387 256 131 22
Easts Tigers 15 8 1 5 1 398 243 155 19
Mackay Cutters 15 8 0 6 1 319 263 56 18
Burleigh Bears 15 8 0 6 1 289 358 -69 18
Northern Pride 15 7 0 7 1 307 304 3 16
Tweed Heads Seagulls 15 5 1 8 1 328 328 0 13
Redcliffe Dolphins 15 4 0 9 2 333 358 -25 12
Sunshine Coast Falcons 15 4 1 9 1 226 388 -162 11
Souths Logan Magpies 15 3 0 10 2 293 414 -121 10
Norths Devils 15 3 1 10 1 182 422 -240 9
CQ Capras 15 1 0 13 1 218 532 -314 4




IPSWICH JETS 52 def CENTRAL 6 @ North Ipswich Reserve (H/T 36-0)

The Capras remain with just a solitary win in 2015 after the Ipswich Jets showed no mercy to the competition’s last placed team with a big 52-6 win on Saturday afternoon.

It didn’t take long for the Jets to ruin the Capras day as they scored on the second tackle of the first set to grab the earliest of leads from an 80m run. Before that score could register, the Jets were over again from the kick off, and by the 10th minute Ipswich were scoring at better than a point a minute.

When Ipswich scored their fifth try in the 28th minute they were still scoring at a point a minute, and they only failed to keep that up at half time by 4 points, taking a 36-0 lead to the sheds.

If Central thought they would get it easy in the second half, they were mistaken as the home side continued their scoring spree after the break, and the away side only got a taste of the score board with 8 minutes to go by which time they were 48-6 down. Ipswich grabbed themselves one more try before full time to score a half century, and complete another miserable day for Central.

Amongst all the usual try scoring feats, there was a scare during the second half to star player Marmin Barba. In scenes that sent shockwaves through those there at the ground, Marmin Barba collapsed on the field before being taken to hospital. As advised above, it was thankfully just severe dehydration, but after the recent death in the UK Rugby League Championship it was a scary reminder of how the body can be affected by sport endeavours.

Ipswich will take the confidence of this big win to battle the Northern Pride in Cairns next weekend, whereas Central finish their run of playing the top three teams when they fly to PNG to take on the red hot Hunters.


TOWNSVILLE BLACKHAWKS 42 def NORTHERN PRIDE 24 @ Jack Manski Oval (H/T 32-6)

The Intrust Super Cup leaders flexed showed why they are the competition leaders on Saturday and took the title of leading North Queensland side with a clean sweep over their opponents on Saturday the Northern Pride and also the Mackay Cutters.

With their enormous for and against difference the Blackhawks effectively have a four point lead over the next best, and it appears their blip in form is just that. Another Zac Santo hat trick was a highlight for the home side.

They didn’t get it all their way at times during the clash on Saturday as the game was tight at 12-6 after 26 minutes after the home side raced out to a 12-0 lead within 10 minutes. But Townsville flexed their muscles in the 12 minutes before half time as they ran in four unanswered tries to lead 32-6 at the break, and it was effectively game over.

The Pride worked hard in the second half and actually outscored Townsville 18-10 in the second half, but their three tries came in the last 11 minutes, when the home side can be forgiven for clocking off to a degree.

Townsville continue their march to the minor premiership when they host the Sunshine Coast next weekend, whilst in Cairns it will be a big game when Ipswich come to town.




BURLEIGH BEARS 25 def WYNNUM MANLY SEAGULLS 24 @ BMD Kougari Oval (H/T Wyn 18-12)

Wynnum Manly Seagulls lost by one points for the second time at home this season as the Burleigh Bears fought back from a half time deficit and a 12 point margin in the second half to pinch the game in the last minute thanks to a field goal from Ahwang.

That field goal came after a 77th minute try that levelled the game after the Bears were behind from the 28th minute after scoring the first 8 points thanks to a try and a penalty goal. The Seagulls scored three tries in a row after being 8-0 down, and despite another Burleigh try just before the break held onto an 18-12 half time lead.

After Wynnum scored again in the 53rd minute to make it 24-12 it looked as if the home side would grind out the result and remain just two points from the leaders of the competition. But Burleigh had other plans and reduced the gap to just 6 points with just under 20 minutes to play. The late try and field goal completed an unlikely upset victory.

Burleigh have now won three in a row, and will head to Easts next weekend to attempt a fourth straight win. Wynnum Manly head to Mackay to make amends.


EASTS TIGERS 30 def MACKAY CUTTERS 16 @ Tapout Energy Stadium (H/T 16-12)

The Tigers remembered their halfback Grant Giess in the best possible way on Sunday afternoon, as they won their first home game since his passing, against a team whom they are challenging for finals football, in front of a big home crowd.

After their tremendous fightback to draw against the Tweed Heads Seagulls, it was another great performance from the Tigers which will help in the healing process for the club.

The home side raced out to 10-0 lead early in the first half, but were pegged back and overtaken as Mackay scored the next two tries and led 12-10. Easts however had one more first try in them as they led 16-12 at the break.

After digging deep in the second half the previous week, the Tigers outscored Mackay three tries to one in the last 40 minutes to earn the win for their team mate.

Better and fuller match reports can be found at

Easts welcome the resurgent Burleigh side next weekend, whilst Mackay have a challenging game at home to Wynnum.


PNG HUNTERS 32 def TWEED HEADS SEAGULLS 24 @ Piggabeen (H/T 14-10)

The juggernaut that is the PNG Hunters rolled through Piggabeen as the visitors triumphed for the eight straight occasion to cement their place two points from Townsville on the ladder and remain the competition’s in form team.

The game saw 10 tries in total, and five to each side, but ultimately goal kicking and penalty goals was the difference with the Hunters landing more kicks than their opponents.

It was fluctuating contest which saw the home side draw level three times with the PNG side, and only a late penalty to the Hunters gave them the 8 point breathing space they held onto for the win after only ever holding a lead as big as ten points during the game.

Tries either side of half time drew the Seagulls level at 14-14, and they copied the Hunters two consecutive tries to make it 24-24 with still time remaining to break the PNG’s longest winning streak. It wasn’t to be as the away side scored in the last 10 minutes and kicked a late penalty goal to seal an eighth straight win and equalled this season’ longest consecutive winning run.

They get the chance to hold the record outright next weekend last placed Central Capras make the long trip north. Tweed Heads get to show their skills on TV next week when they head to Davies Park to play Souths Logan.

Other Articles

Translate »