Widnes Overcome Cas in Last-Gasp Thriller

Widnes defeated Castleford 38-28 at the Mend-a-Hose Jungle after surviving a late spell of relentless Tigers attack.

The Vikings were 38-12 in the ascendancy with fifteen minutes to go, but had their lead clawed back to just ten points after a flurry of Tigers attacks.

Widnes skipper Kevin Brown was denied a try by the video referee just after five minutes, but he was involved once again shortly after, as his pacey kick was spilled in the in-goal area, allowing Macgraff Leuluai to pounce on the loose ball and give the visitors the early lead.

Patrick Ah Van and Chris Bridge added further tries for the Vikings either side of Paddy Flynn’s first to give Widnes a 14-6 lead at half-time.

After Flynn and Luke Gale’s kick reduced the arrears to just two points on 48 minutes, Castleford were right back in the contest. But four tries for the away side saw them break away and take full control of the tie.

Ah Van added his second and Lloyd White recorded a quick-fire brace, going over from dummy-half before kicking and collecting neatly into the in-goal for his second.

Joe Mellor then raced away from the restart to put Widnes firmly in control, after Daryl Powell’s men failed to control their short kick-off, but it was soon the hosts’ turn to ramp up the pressure.

Larne Patrick barged over from a strong run with 70 minutes played, and Luke a Gale added one of his own straight from the kick-off, as Denny Solomona sprinted away before passing inside to Gale.

Flynn completed his hat-trick with six minutes left, but Widnes held on to move five points clear of the bottom four.

Castleford 28 (6)

Tries: Paddy Flynn (x3), Larne Patrick (x1), Luke Gale (x1)
Goals: Luke Gale (x4)

Widnes 38 (14)

Tries: Lloyd White (x2), Patrick Ah Van (x2), Joe Mellor (x1), Chris Bridge (x1), Macgraff Leuluai (x1)
Goals: Rhys Hanbury (x5)

Other Articles

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Translate »