Four Pointers: Warrington Wolves 18-10 St Helens

Wolves make it to Old Trafford

Warrington booked their place at Old Trafford with a nail-biting win over St Helens.

Saints had won the last seven matches at the Halliwell Jones Stadium between the sides and the win was only Warrington’s third against their rivals in the town.

St Helens led 10-8 at the break but two second half tries from Stefan Ratchford and Tom Lineham completed the victory for the Wolves.

Warrington will now face either Wigan or Hull FC in the Grand Final next Saturday.

Peyroux try wrongfully disallowed?

Warrington were 18-10 ahead when Saints centre Dominique Peyroux looked like he had forced his way over the try line.

The video referee controversially deemed it to be no try despite it looking like Peyroux had grounded the ball.

The try and conversion would have reduced the deficit to two points heading into the final few minutes and the game could have had a different outcome.

Lineham try wrongfully allowed?

Another moment of controversy was whether Tom Lineham knocked on as he grounded the ball in the corner on 64 minutes.

Referee Ben Thaler gave the try without the use of the video referee although the try could have been chalked off had he done so.

Lineham definitely lost the ball but there is a question mark over whether he grounded it fairly with his torso as he went over.

It was one of those decisions which divides opinion and was a big moment which went Warrington’s way.

Saints hold heads high

St Helens will look back on 2016 as a season of two halves. After a difficult start to the campaign they turned their form around have been the in form team in recent weeks.

They played their part in an entertaining semi-final and on a different day with 50/50 calls going their way the game could have had a different outcome.


Warrington Wolves 18 (8)
Tries: Gidley, Ratchford, Lineham
Goals: Patton (3)

St Helens 10 (10)
Tries: Lomax
Goals: Walsh (3)

Translate »
%d bloggers like this: