Super League Qualifiers: Round 4 Review

London Broncos 38 – 40 Warrington Wolves

The Broncos led early on to the disbelief of the rugby league world and the Warrington players who, for the most part seemed to be in shock in the first half of the game. Despite the rapid start from London Broncos, including tries from Kieran Dixon, Rhys Williams, and Jarrod Sammut, Warrington were able to peg back London’s 14-0 lead in the last twelve minutes of the half through Tom Lineham and George King. With the score standing at 14-10 at the start of the second half it was all to play for and Warrington took a firm hold of the lead in the early stages of the second half.

Pita Hiku scored their first before Kevin Brown and Declan Patton scored a quick fire double to thrust Warrington into a definite lead. Ben Westwood chipped in with a soft effort though the middle of the Broncos defence to seemingly put the game out of reach. Jarrod Sammut got one back for the hosts to make the score 20-34. Warrington restored their twenty-point lead in what was a try filled half with Kevin Brown completing his brace. It looked as though it was over but Man of the Match Jarrod Sammut catalyzed a late comeback from the Broncos. Sammut cracked in with his third try of the evening in the 72nd minute.

Not long after Sammut had converted his own effort, Andy Ackers crossed from short range and Sammut converted once again to cut the Warrington lead to 10 with five minutes to play. The Broncos continued to ride the momentum towards the back end of the game and Kieran Dixon raced 70 metres off the back of a Warrington 5th tackle kick to dot down under the posts. As a result, with two minutes to go, Broncos trailed by two points. It looked as though Warrington had sealed the win with Broncos caught on the 5th tackle in a clinch, but an unnecessary cannonball tackle from a fiery Ryan Atkins looked as though Broncos were to have a final penalty from which to get a return, however referee Liam Moore provided an archetypal refereeing cop out and turned a blind eye. Warrington saw out the final set and survived what was a massive scare for the Cheshire side.


Halifax RLFC 0 – 24 Catalans Dragons

Catalans got a much needed win away at Halifax in a game that contained nearly as many yellow cards as tries. Greg Bird was the first to get a spell after an illegal tackle on Ben Heaton. Despite being a man down Catalans were the first to cross through Louis Anderson. Catalans looked to be back to near their best when Richie Myler crossed 5 minutes before half time to put the Dragons 12-0 up going into the break after Luke Walsh’s conversion.

The Dragons’ momentum carried through half time and they crossed soon after with Brayden Williame adding another to his tally for the season. The two sides then traded blows for the middle part of the half before Catalans broke through once again and a well worked move put Fouad Yaha over the corner to seal a much needed win for Catalans Dragons who now look sure to be in the Million Pound Game or better.


Leigh Centurions 8 – 24 Widnes Vikings 

Leigh and Widnes went into the game with the knowledge that the loser would go into the Million Pound Game slots regardless of other results. Widnes capitalised early on through Lloyd White. Two penalty goals put Widnes 8-0 up before Jack Buchanan crossed for his first of the season under the sticks.

James Clare got one back for the home side with a top class finish, but Widnes replied and Corey Thompson went over in the corner. Chris Bridge converted and restored Widnes’ lead before Matty Dawson crossed for Leigh. That was o be all for the hosts though and Widnes added two more penalties late on to seal the game 24-8.


Featherstone Rovers 18 – 30 Hull KR

Hull maintained their unbeaten qualifiers record with a comprehensive away win at Featherstone. Johnson opened the scoring for the hosts in what looked like a promising start for Featherstone, but Hull KR soon took control and Ryan Shaw, Danny Addy and Jamie Ellis scored back to back tries to put the Robins 18-6 up going into half time.

Featherstone came out the stronger side in the second half and Frankie Mariano dotted down ten minutes. Ian Hardman converted and the Robins’ lead was cut to 6. It didn’t last long, however, and Jamie Ellis added a penalty goal to stretch the lead out to 8 before Thomas Minns sliced through the Featherstone defence to score.

Andrew Heffernan backed up Minns’ try with one of his own and Jamie Ellis converted to all but win the game for Hull KR. With the score standing at 12-30, Hull KR began to relax and conceded late on with Kyran Johnson getting his second of the game. Hardman remained faultless with the boot and added the extra two to make the score 18-30 at the final whistle. The win keeps Hull KR joint top of the league and a win at home against Widnes next time out could mean a definite spot in Super League next season.

Other Articles

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Translate »