REVIEW | Intrust Super Cup Round 12

Another round of interesting results at the completion of the Intrust Super Cup Round 12, Burleigh still lead, and Mackay Cutters are still last, but there was some movement in between with a loss to one of the Top 3 sides, and the possible awakening of a giant in the bottom half of the table.

It was a good weekend for the home sides, with the exception of Wynnum who are still yet to taste victory at home in 2018.

The best of what was on offer for Intrust Super Cup Round 12 is below, and there is something on all of the weekend’s fixtures below to keep you up to date.


The TV games of late have featured a number of upsets, and the first game of Intrust Super Cup Round 12 appeared to be going the same way, a worry for Redcliffe who were a victim of a TV game upset just two weeks prior.

Redcliffe had to come from behind twice in the game, and not for the first time this season the Capras were unable to take advantage of a winning position.

The Capras opened up the scoring early after just three minutes through Junior Kirisome’s first of two tries for the day. Redcliffe responded ten minutes later through former Capra Tony Tumusa who moved to Redcliffe this season. The pattern followed once more in the second half, and the scores were locked 10-10 at the break.

Not long after the break Redcliffe took the lead for the first time of the afternoon, Jonus Pearson crossing for the second of his two for the day. The Capras replied themselves to lock the game up for a third time at 14-14 five minutes later. It remained that way until Redcliffe broke the Capras hearts in the 75th when sustained ball and pressure eventually led to prop Sam Anderson charging over from 10 metres to grab the match winner. It also didn’t stop Sam Anderson nearly knocking himself out in the first tackle after a successful Capras short kick off. The Capras couldn’t convert their last chance and miss out on at least the draw you could argue they deserved given they suffered key injuries during the game.

Redcliffe stay in the Top 6 with the win, Capras lie second last and equal on points with last placed Mackay Cutters.

For many league fans it was a chance to see big Dave Taylor in action for the first time in a while, this time in Central Capras colours. Whilst the often larger than life character looks a little larger than many will remember him from the NRL days, he still offers something to the Capras, and is certainly a good name to have in the intrust Super Cup.



Easts have been low on wins in the past few weeks, in fact they haven’t won since Round 6 in Cairns, so a return to winning ways, with a big win over their rivals Wynnum is a most welcome result.

The 54-16 win featured 10 tries for the Tigers in all, five in each half, and a show of considerable impact and much more like what a lot expected this season with the strength of their squad on paper.

Before the Seagulls knew it they were 18-0 down after an opening 10 minute blitz from the Tigers, and despite replying a few minutes later, were still down 30-10 at the break after Easts scored a quickfire three-minute double around the half hour mark.

Only the goal kicking percentage eased off in the second half as Easts laid on five more tries, but only converted twice. By the time Billy Walters had sealed the game with a double, centre Conor Carey also had two tries, and Brodie Croft was among the try scorers.

The top 6 is still far away for the Tigers, being 4 points behind, but their for and against is now well into the positive despite lying 10th which will help them if the wins follow in the next few weeks. They certainly have the class to do it. Wynnum meanwhile are 12th and equal last on 3 wins and are still yet to win at home. The manner of this defeat though will be a worry.



The PNG Hunters ended Townsville’s winning run which stretched back to Round 5 with a hard fought win in Port Moresby, as the victories between these two sides often are.

PNG were without their captain and star player Ase Boas, regular hooker Wartovo Puara moving into the halves. What the Hunters did have though, was the return of Stanton Albert from an aborted campaign in English Rugby League.

There was just the one try in the first half, and that went the way of the visitors in the Ty Carucci in the 15th minute, the conversion missed and no other scoring saw the score 4-0 at half time.

The second half saw a little more action, and thankfully for the home fans the first two tries came for the Hunters. The first to Junior Rau 5 minutes after the break, and 20 minutes later returnee Stanton Albert ensured his impact from his comeback was complete with what turned out to be the winning try. The Blackhawks did score with a minute to go, but their 0/2 conversion rate meant the Hunters held on for the two points and climb to 9th on the ladder and just two points from the top 6. Townsville drop a place after their loss and the Magpies win.

It was the Hunter’s performance under extreme pressure in Townsville last season that earmarked them as genuine title contenders, so perhaps this victory will give the side more belief that they can do it again this year. All done without Ase Boas too.



Burleigh maintained their grip on top spot on Saturday afternoon with a 20-10 win over the last placed Mackay Cutters at Pizzey Park. The first half saw the Bears jump out to a 4-0 lead before Mackay hauled them back and take the lead 10-4 with two tries. The potential upset dissolved in the second half as it was all Bears, two tries to occasional Titan Tyrone Roberts-Davis among the three tries that wrapped the game up for Burleigh. Cooper Bambling continued his impact for the Cutters since his return from the Canberra Raiders system with a try.

The Northern Pride jumped into fifth on the intrust Super Cup ladder with a 29-10 over the Norths Devils in Cairns. The first half was all Pride as they scored three tries and kicked a cheeky field goal to lead 17-0 at the break. The Devils threatened some kind of come back after the break with two tries in three minutes just after the interval to be behind by just 5 points with most of the half to go. It didn’t last, and the Pride had another two tries in them to win the second half and the match. Norths cling onto 6th for the time being, but will be watching some big names and form team just behind them.

Tweed Heads winning run continued at Piggabeen on Sunday afternoon over a gallant Sunshine Coast Falcons effort. The first half saw points only to the home sides, and two tries and the Seagull’s only conversion came in the first 40 minutes to lead 10-0. The Falcons were first to score after the interval, and when Justin Olam’s second try came 10 minutes after Tweed;s third try, the score line was 14-12 with 13 minutes to play. Happily for Piggabeen fans, Brendan Elliot sealed a personal double with the match clincher in the 74th minute.

Souths Logan moved up to 2nd with a drought breaking head to head win over the Ipswich Jets at Davies Park. The early try for the Jets was an early peak, as from the moment the home side scored 3 tries in eight minutes, it was all Souths Logan. The 20-6 lead quickly extended after the break to 32-8 by the 64th minute, and despite two more tries from Ipswich it was never enough to stop the Magpies juggernaut.

INTRUST SUPER CUP | Tigers maul Wynnum Manly Seagulls



REDCLIFFE DOLPHINS 20 Central Capras 14
BURLEIGH BEARS 20 Mackay Cutters 10
NORTHERN PRIDE 29 Norths Devils 10
TWEED HEADS SEAGULLS 18 Sunshine Coast Falcons 12
Wynnum Seagulls 16 EASTS TIGERS 54
PNG HUNTERS 12 Townsville Blackhawks 8

Other Articles

Leave a Reply

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Translate »