Here’s a look at the National Rugby League week, including weekend results from Round 18 of the NRL Premiership.
NRL week in the news
- Five players suspended out of Round 17 matches. Brisbane Broncos Jordan Riki (2 matches), Jamil Hopoate (1 match); Cronulla Sharks pair Wade Graham (2 matches), Chad Townsend (3 matches) and Melbourne Storm’s Christian Welch (1 match).
- Newcastle Knights controversially rest Kalyn Ponga from their weekend’s clash with Sydney Roosters at the Sydney Cricket Ground.
- Canberra Raiders star Josh Papalii cleared of serious shoulder problem after weekend loss to the Sydney Roosters.
- Parramatta Eels hooker Reed Mahoney out indefinitely with an AC joint injury.
- Anthony Griffin appointed St George-Illawarra Dragons coach for the next two seasons, replacing Paul McGregor who stood down last month.
- Alex Johnston confirms he’ll stay with South Sydney Rabbitohs for the next two-years.
- Bronson Xerri to plead not guilty to alleged use of anabolic steroids and will face the NRL anti-doping tribunal. Hearing to take place in late October, or early November.
- Titans face two week quarantine and Broncos, Cowboys eight days after their season ends, in-line with QLD government protocols.
- Newcastle Knight and former Sydney Rooster premiership winning forward Aidan Guerra set to retire at the end of 2020.
- Curtis Scott pleads guilty to two counts of offensive behaviour from arrest on Australia Day, other police charges are dropped.
- Newcastle competition rugby league player Joel Dark, brother of Tweed Heads Kurtis and cousin of Australian captain Boyd Cordner, passes away in hospital after a head knock on debut last Sunday.
- Reports emerge that Wests Tigers fans are launching a petition to re-sign Benji Marshall in 2021.
- Reports that Sydney Roosters fullback James Tedesco is set to be offered a $6million, five year contract renewal.
Match Day Key Points
- Wests Tigers edged out by South Sydney, all but ending their 2020 NRL campaign.
- Penrith remained on track for the NRL Minor Premiership with their 13th straight win.
- Canberra, Sydney Roosters fine tune their performance on Saturday with solid wins over the Dragons and Knights respectively.
- Brisbane create unwanted club record losing nine straight as the Titans look likely to be the highest placed Queensland team since they finished fourth back in 2010.
- North Queensland Cowboys forward Josh McGuire in hot water for abusing referee Grant Atkins, with his side going down to Melbourne Storm at Sunshine Coast Stadium.
- Cronulla Sharks win over New Zealand Warriors locks in the NRL top 8 for 2020.
Match Day Player Stats
- South Sydney: Dane Gagai 205 run metres, Damien Cook 54 tackles, Cody Walker 3 try assists.
- Manly Sea Eagles: Morgan Harper 204 run metres, Daly Cherry-Evans 3 try assists.
- Penrith Panthers: Dylan Edward 296 metres (90 post contact), Josh Mansour 210 metres, Nathan Cleary 506 kick metres (including 40/20).
- Parramatta Eels: Nathan Brown 49 tackles.
- St George-Illawarra Dragons: Cam McInnes 53 tackles.
- Canberra Raiders: George Williams 3 try assists.
- Sydney Roosters: Brett Morris 222 run metres, Jake Friend 50 tackles.
- Newcastle Knights: Mitchell Pearce 487 kick metres.
- Melbourne Storm: Cameron Smith 3 try assists.
- Cronulla Sharks: Shaun Johnson 348 kick metres.
- Cody Ramsey scores a brace on debut for the Dragons at WIN Stadium.
- Luke Keary scores a brace in NRL game 150 milestone.
- Jarrod Wallace NRL game 150 milestone.
Wests Tigers Vs South Sydney Rabbitohs
Canterbury Bulldogs Vs Manly Sea Eagles
Penrith Panthers Vs Parramatta Eels
St George-Illawarra Dragons Vs Canberra Raiders
Gold Coast Titans Vs Brisbane Broncos
Sydney Roosters Vs Newcastle Knights
Melbourne Storm Vs North Queensland Cowboys
Cronulla Sharks Vs New Zealand Warriors
NRL Match Review