ROUND 8 MATCH REPORT | Wakefield Trinity 22-23 Wigan Warriors

Jack Harbidge reviews the Round 8 Super League clash between Wakefield Trinity and Wigan Warriors at the COVID-restart held at Emerald Headingley Stadium….. Here’s how the game went.


Minute Scoring Play Score
10th Goal Tony Gigot (Wakefield) Wakefield 2-0
13th Try Zak Hardaker (Wigan) Wigan 4-2
14th Goal Zak Hardaker (Wigan) Wigan 6-2
23rd Try Bevan French (Wigan) Wigan 10-2
32nd Try Kyle Wood (Wakefield) Wigan 10-6
36th Try Liam Marshall (Wigan) Wigan 14-6
37th Goal Zak Hardaker (Wigan) Wigan 16-6
50th Try Jake Bibby (Wigan) Wigan 20-6
50th Goal Zak Hardaker (Wigan) Wigan 22-6
65th Try Tom Johnstone (Wakefield) Wigan 22-10
65th Goal Tony Gigot (Wakefield) Wigan 22-12
70th Try Liam Kay (Wakefield) Wigan 22-16
76th Drop Goal Harry Smith (Wigan) Wigan 23-16
77th Try Liam Kay (Wakefield) Wigan 23-20
78th Goal Max Jowitt (Wakefield) Wigan 23-22


1st Half

Wakefield got off to a good start in the opening exchanges and capitalised with a penalty goal from Tony Gigot just 10 minutes in to the contest. Wakefield’s lead was short lived, however, with Zak Hardaker crossing three minutes later and converting his own try to put Wigan four points up, before helping put the Warriors further in the lead with a well weighted grubber for Bevan French to score in the corner. Wakefield managed to cut the deficit back to four points with a try from Kyle Wood just under 10 minutes before half-time but the Wigan soon reinstated their lead through Liam Marshall just a few minutes later to go into half-time 16-6 up.

Embed from Getty Images

2nd Half

Wigan carried on in the second half where they left off in the first half, with Jake Bibby beating the efforts of four Wakefield defenders and muscling over from short range. Wigan continued to apply the pressure to the Wakefield defensive line and looked in complete control until Tom Johnstone produced an impressive finish 15 minutes from time to get Wakefield back in the game and within two scores. Seemingly invigorated by their first points of the second half, Trinity continue to press on and scored in quick succession with Liam Kay crossing ten minutes from time to close the lead to six points.

Wigan weren’t completely overwhelmed, however, and Harry Smith managed to all but seal the game with a drop goal in good field position before Wakefield grabbed a late try with two minutes to go, consequently setting up a grandstand finish. In the final minute, Trinity managed to work the ball down within drop goal range but Jacob Miller couldn’t convert and their late come back was thwarted.

Embed from Getty Images


The game highlight came from Tom Johnstone, who produced an exquisite finish to spark the Wakefield comeback towards the back end of the game. Well known for his clinical finishing, Johnstone caught a well weighted cross-field kick above his head and managed to gt it down in the corner in the same movement despite the efforts of the defence. It was a different finish to his usual acrobatic diving efforts but it was all the same impressive.

Embed from Getty Images


Wakefield Trinity: Gigot, Kay, Lyne, Tupou, Johnstone, Miller, Jowitt, Kopczak, Wood, Navarrette, Pitts, Tanginoa, Arona, Wood, Tangata, Kirmond, Fifita.

Wigan Warriors: French, Manfredi, Hardaker, Bibby, Marshall, Leuluai, Hastings, Bullock, Powell, Byrne, Isa, Farrell, Havard, Burgess, Clark, Smith, Smithies.


Other Articles

Super League Match Previews
NRL News
2020 NRL Round 14 Team News

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Translate »