Here’s a look at the Super League week, including results from Round 12 of the Super League Competition.
Super League week in the news
- Super League ladder reverted to win percentage and points differential, given not all sides may play the same number of matches with the complexity of COVID. The new ladder before Round 12 was: Catalans (71.43%, pd 75), Saints (70%, pd 167), Warrington 14 (70%, pd 94), Wigan (70%, pd 14), Leeds (62.5%, pd 39), Castleford (50%, pd -1), Huddersfield (44.44%, pd -59), Hull FC (40%, pd -73), Wakefield (25%, pd -111), Salford (22.22%, pd -87), Hull Kingston Rovers (22.22%, pd -113).
- One player each from Wigan Warriors, Catalans Dragons and Wakefield Trinity test positive to COVID.
- Castleford’s Jesse Sene-Lefao stood down for breaching COVID track and trace protocols.
- Wigan’s Ben Flower receives two match penalty for Dangerous Contact and Hull FC’s Ligi Sao receives one match penalty for Dangerous Contact out of last weekend’s Super League matches. Flower’s tribunal hearing upholding the decision.
- Kallum Watkins signs with Salford Red Devils on a three-year contract.
- London Broncos’ Eddie Battye joins Wakefield Trinity on loan until the end of the Super League season.
- RFL are asking the United Kingdom government to reconsider plans to delay crowds from returning to matches beyond October 1.
- Toronto Wolfpack prospective new owner Carlo LiVolsi outlines a business plan and pledges to meet with players owed three months of pay.
- Round 13 fixtures confirmed for September 24-25 at Warrington’s Halliwell Jones Stadium. Thursday 24th – Hull Kingston Rovers vs Leeds (3:30pm), Hull FC vs Salford (6pm), Castleford vs Huddersfield (8:15pm). Friday 25th – Warrington vs Catalans (6pm), Wigan vs Wakefield (8:15pm).
Match Day Key Points
- Hull FC who were missing eleven regular first team players beat Wakefield Trinity 26-23 to record their first Super League win since beating Wakefield Trinity on March 2 by 27-26.
- Heartbreak for Castleford Tigers with a converted try to Matty Ashton in the final two minutes giving Warrington victory 12-10.
- St Helens made to work for their 21-20 win over bottom placed Hull Kingston Rovers, with Théo Fages kicking his first ever Super League field goal in 179 matches (2013-current). The field goal coming after 84 minutes, completing the competition’s third ever Golden Point match.
- Luke Gale’s field goal with six minutes to play elevated Leeds to victory over Huddersfield 13-12. Leeds stood down seven players due to COVID like symptoms prior to the match, one player waiting a test result. Giants Adam O’Brien has a suspected neck injury.
- In the first game played out of the United Kingdom since the resumption, Wigan Warriors scored five tries to two in defeating “new” leaders Catalans Dragons 28-12 in Perpignan.
- Wakefield Trinity’s Craig Kopczak 300 game milestone.
- Wakefield Trinity debuts for Connor Bailey and Yusif Aydin.
- Hull FC’s Adam Swift 150 game milestone, scoring his 100th career try.
- St Helens Zeb Taia 100 game milestone for club.
- Chris McQueen debuts for Huddersfield Giants.
1. Saints 72.73% (pd 168), 2. Warrington 72.73% (pd 96), 3. Wigan 72.73% (pd 85), 4. Leeds 66.67% (pd 40), 5. Catalans 62.5% (pd 59), 6. Castleford Tigers 54.55% (-3), 7. Hull FC 45.45% (pd -70), 8. Huddersfield 40% (pd -60), 9. Salford 22.22% (pd -87), 10. Wakefield 22.22% (pd -114), 11. Hull KR 22.22% (pd -114).
Note: Toronto Wolfpack withdrew from the 2020 season on July 20.
- Tom Lineham (Warrington Wolves) – Grade F – other contrary conduct – 8 matches and £500 fine.
- Jordan Abdull (Hull KR) – Grade D – other contrary conduct – Two-match suspension.
- Kevin Naiqama (St Helens) – Grade C – high tackle. Two-match suspension.
- Alex Sutcliffe (Leeds Rhinos) – Grade C – dangerous contact. Two-match suspension.
- Brad Dwyer (Leeds Rhinos) – Grade B – shoulder charge. One-match suspension.
- Adam Milner (Castleford Tigers) – Grade B – use of knees. One-match suspension.
- Leroy Cudjoe (Huddersfield Giants) – Caution – dangerous throw.
Hull FC Vs Wakefield Trinity
Castleford Tigers Vs Warrington Wolves
St Helens Vs Hull Kingston Rovers
Leeds Rhinos Vs Huddersfield Giants
Catalans Dragons Vs Wigan Warriors