Here’s a look at the National Rugby League week, including weekend results from Round 18 of the NRL Premiership.
NRL week in the news
- Five players suspended out of Round 17 matches. Brisbane Broncos Jordan Riki (2 matches), Jamil Hopoate (1 match); Cronulla Sharks pair Wade Graham (2 matches), Chad Townsend (3 matches) and Melbourne Storm’s Christian Welch (1 match).
- Newcastle Knights controversially rest Kalyn Ponga from their weekend’s clash with Sydney Roosters at the Sydney Cricket Ground.
- Canberra Raiders star Josh Papalii cleared of serious shoulder problem after weekend loss to the Sydney Roosters.
- Parramatta Eels hooker Reed Mahoney out indefinitely with an AC joint injury.
- Anthony Griffin appointed St George-Illawarra Dragons coach for the next two seasons, replacing Paul McGregor who stood down last month.
- Alex Johnston confirms he’ll stay with South Sydney Rabbitohs for the next two-years.
- Bronson Xerri to plead not guilty to alleged use of anabolic steroids and will face the NRL anti-doping tribunal. Hearing to take place in late October, or early November.
- Titans face two week quarantine and Broncos, Cowboys eight days after their season ends, in-line with QLD government protocols.
- Newcastle Knight and former Sydney Rooster premiership winning forward Aidan Guerra set to retire at the end of 2020.
- Curtis Scott pleads guilty to two counts of offensive behaviour from arrest on Australia Day, other police charges are dropped.
- Newcastle competition rugby league player Joel Dark, brother of Tweed Heads Kurtis and cousin of Australian captain Boyd Cordner, passes away in hospital after a head knock on debut last Sunday.
- Reports emerge that Wests Tigers fans are launching a petition to re-sign Benji Marshall in 2021.
- Reports that Sydney Roosters fullback James Tedesco is set to be offered a $6million, five year contract renewal.
Match Day Key Points
- Wests Tigers edged out by South Sydney, all but ending their 2020 NRL campaign.
- Penrith remained on track for the NRL Minor Premiership with their 13th straight win.
- Canberra, Sydney Roosters fine tune their performance on Saturday with solid wins over the Dragons and Knights respectively.
- Brisbane create unwanted club record losing nine straight as the Titans look likely to be the highest placed Queensland team since they finished fourth back in 2010.
- North Queensland Cowboys forward Josh McGuire in hot water for abusing referee Grant Atkins, with his side going down to Melbourne Storm at Sunshine Coast Stadium.
- Cronulla Sharks win over New Zealand Warriors locks in the NRL top 8 for 2020.
Match Day Player Stats
- South Sydney: Dane Gagai 205 run metres, Damien Cook 54 tackles, Cody Walker 3 try assists.
- Manly Sea Eagles: Morgan Harper 204 run metres, Daly Cherry-Evans 3 try assists.
- Penrith Panthers: Dylan Edward 296 metres (90 post contact), Josh Mansour 210 metres, Nathan Cleary 506 kick metres (including 40/20).
- Parramatta Eels: Nathan Brown 49 tackles.
- St George-Illawarra Dragons: Cam McInnes 53 tackles.
- Canberra Raiders: George Williams 3 try assists.
- Sydney Roosters: Brett Morris 222 run metres, Jake Friend 50 tackles.
- Newcastle Knights: Mitchell Pearce 487 kick metres.
- Melbourne Storm: Cameron Smith 3 try assists.
- Cronulla Sharks: Shaun Johnson 348 kick metres.
- Cody Ramsey scores a brace on debut for the Dragons at WIN Stadium.
- Luke Keary scores a brace in NRL game 150 milestone.
- Jarrod Wallace NRL game 150 milestone.
Wests Tigers Vs South Sydney Rabbitohs
Canterbury Bulldogs Vs Manly Sea Eagles
Penrith Panthers Vs Parramatta Eels
St George-Illawarra Dragons Vs Canberra Raiders
Gold Coast Titans Vs Brisbane Broncos
Sydney Roosters Vs Newcastle Knights
Melbourne Storm Vs North Queensland Cowboys
Cronulla Sharks Vs New Zealand Warriors