A big week in Super League, whether it was Adian Sezer’s match winning performance for Huddersfield or Tom Lineham’s suspension. Here’s a look at the Super League week, including results from the Challenge Cup quarter-finals.
Super League week in the news
- Carlos Tuimavave re-signs with Hull FC until the end of 2024.
- Luther Burrell released by Warrington Wolves to return to rugby union.
- Ryan Atkins signs with Championship side York City Knights for 2021.
- Warrington Wolves player Tom Lineham suspended for eight matches and fined £500 for ‘Other Contrary Behaviour’.
- Hull KR’s Jordan Abdull suspended for two matches for ‘Other Contrary Behaviour’.
- Huddersfield Giants head coach Simon Woolford left the club this week after confirming he would not renew his contract with the club.
- Reports the Rugby League World Cup set down for 2021, could be moved to 2022 if there is a high enough COVID risk.
- Ethan Havard re-signed with Wigan Warriors until the end of 2022, with an option for 2023.
- Leeds Rhinos continue to have one player in isolation following the latest COVID tests. Wakefield Trinity also have a confirmed COVID positive case.
- Brad Singleton signs a three-year contract with Wigan Warriors.
- The UK Government has approved four Super League games to be played with a limit of 1,000 spectators. They are Wigan vs St Helens, Castleford vs Hull FC, Huddersfield Giants vs Hull KR and Leeds Rhinos vs Catalans Dragons.
- Challenge Cup Semi-Final draw confirmed: Salford Red Devils vs Warrington Wolves, Wigan Warriors vs Leeds Rhinos. Games to be played on Saturday, October 3.
- Will Dagger re-signs with Hull Kingston Rovers for 2021.
- Prospective new owners of Toronto Wolfpack are committed to paying owed wages to players if the club is admitted into the 2021 Super League competition.
Match Day Key Points
- Wakefield Trinity extend their losing streak to six matches following their 29-6 defeat at the hands of Huddersfield Giants on Thursday. The Giants ending a five game run of outs.
- Salford Red Devils have scored a dramatic extra-time victory over Catalans Dragons in the first Challenge Cup quarter-final, coming from 10-18 down to win 22-18.
- Leeds Rhinos cruised into the Challenge Cup semi-finals, scoring a 48-18 victory over Hull Kingston Rovers. The Rhinos led 30-0 at the break.
- Warrington Wolves have made it eight straight wins in knocking League Leaders St Helens out of the Challenge Cup 20-18.
- Wigan Warriors Sam Powell has scored in his 200th appearance for Wigan Warriors as they thrashed Hull FC 36-4.
- Eddie Battye club debut for Wakefield Trinity.
- Ben Garcia 150th career game milestone.
- Krisnan Inu 1,000 career points milestone.
- Kallum Watkins club debut for Salford Red Devils.
- Sam Powell 200th game milestone with Wigan Warriors.
Match Day Player Stats
- Huddersfield Giants: Aidan Sezer 3 try assists, 1 try, 4 goals.
1. Saints 72.73% (pd 168), 2. Warrington 72.73% (pd 96), 3. Wigan 72.73% (pd 85), 4. Leeds 66.67% (pd 40), 5. Catalans 62.5% (pd 59), 6. Castleford Tigers 54.55% (-3), 7. Huddersfield 45.45% (pd -37), 8. Hull FC 45.45% (pd -70), 9. Salford 22.22% (pd -87), 10. Hull KR 22.22% (pd -114), 11. Wakefield 20% (pd -137).
Note: Toronto Wolfpack withdrew from the 2020 season on July 20.
to be advised.
Thursday – Super League
Wakefield Trinity Vs Huddersfield Giants
Friday – Challenge Cup Quarter-Finals
Catalans Dragons Vs Salford Red Devils
Leeds Rhinos Vs Hull Kingston Rovers
Saturday – Challenge Cup Quarter-Finals
Warrington Wolves Vs St Helens RLFC