Here’s a look at the National Rugby League week, including weekend results from Round 19 of the NRL Premiership.
NRL week in the news
- Gavin Cooper announces his retirement at the end of the 2020 season.
- Ken Stephens Medalists nominations announced. They are: Adam Elliott (Canterbury Bulldogs), Kyle Feldt (North Queensland Cowboys), Reed Mahoney (Parramatta Eels), Connor Watson (Newcastle Knights), Marty Taupau (Manly Sea Eagles), James Tamou (Penrith Panthers), Cody Walker (South Sydney Rabbitohs), Angus Crichton (Sydney Roosters), Jarrod Croker (Canberra Raiders), Ronaldo Mulitalo (Cronulla Sharks), Chris Lawrence (Wests Tigers), Dale Copley (Gold Coast Titans), Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (New Zealand Warriors).
- Josh Papalii re-signs with the Canberra Raiders until the end of 2024, with an option for 2025.
- Adelaide confirmed as a venue for the 2020 State of Origin series after doubts post COVID that the game would go to the city. The match dates are: Adelaide Oval on November 4, ANZ Stadium on November 11 and Suncorp Stadium on November 18. The Women’s Origin will take place on November 13 at Sunshine Coast Stadium.
- The NRL Bunker to be reduced to one official after differing views on a no-try to Lindsay Collins in Sydney Roosters win against Newcastle Knights last Saturday.
- Corey Waddell signs with Canterbury Bulldogs on a three-year contract.
- Kevin Proctor re-signs with Gold Coast Titans for 2021.
- NSW Government approve crowds at 50% stadium capacity for the NRL Finals Series. Adelaide Oval will host 26,750 capacity for the opening Origin game on November 4.
- Bryce Cartwright officially released by the Gold Coast Titans from his contract.
- Melbourne Storm forward Christian Welch stood down after breaching COVID protocols. The NRL fined Welch $20,000 for the breach of which half was suspended.
- Penrith skipper James Tamou signs with Wests Tigers on a two-year contract.
- Curtis Scott issued with a breach notice from the NRL for brining the game into disrepute for drunken behaviour on Australia Day. The proposed fine is $15,000 which will be suspended if he undergoes counselling.
- Reports that Cronulla Sharks are looking to offload Matt Moylan from the final year of his contract.
- Tim Glasby announces his retirement immediately from rugby league.
Match Day Key Points
- Canterbury Bulldogs leapfrog Brisbane Broncos into second last spot with a stunning 26-16 victory over a disappointing South Sydney outfit at ANZ Stadium. Controversy with the Rabbitohs opening try to Jaxson Paulo showing his foot was outside the field of play when he grounded the ball.
- Penrith Panthers seal the NRL Minor Premiership with a dominant 32-12 win over North Queensland Cowboys at Queensland Country Bank Stadium. It’s their third minor premiership (1991, 2003, 2020).
- Parramatta Eels put their disappointing effort against Penrith Panthers behind them in beating the bottom placed Brisbane Broncos 26-12 at Bankwest Stadium. They are almost assured a top four finish with Canberra Raiders to rely on results to finish higher than fifth.
- Gold Coast Titans win four in a row for the first time since early 2014 in beating Manly Sea Eagles 42-24. Tom Trbojevic in his return game for the Sea Eagles injured his shoulder.
- Melbourne Storm put on thirty-two points before half-time as they demolished the Wests Tigers at Sunshine Coast Stadium 50-22.
- Sydney Roosters celebrate Mitch Aubusson’s record breaking night in scoring a 34-18 win over Cronulla Sharks. Shaun Johnson’s season may be over after snapping his Achilles.
- Ricky Stuart scathing of referee Chris Sutton on the eve of the finals series as Canberra Raiders beat New Zealand Warriors 26-14, and in doing so, confirm a home week 1 finals game.
- Newcastle Knights win the Alex McKinnon Cup by trouncing St George-Illawarra Dragons 42-18.
Match Day Player Stats
- South Sydney Rabbitohs: Damien Cook 59 tackles.
- Canterbury Bulldogs: Jayden Okunbor 232 run metres, Aiden Tolman 218 run metres.
- North Queensland Cowboys: Jake Clifford 496 kick metres.
- Penrith Panthers: Nathan Cleary 366 kick metres.
- Brisbane Broncos: Patrick Carrigan 50 tackles.
- Manly Sea Eagles: Curtis Sironen 216 run metres.
- Wests Tigers: Harry Grant 50 tackles.
- Canberra Raiders: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 191 run metres.
- Newcastle Knights: Mitchell Pearce 308 kick metres.
- St George-Illawarra Dragons: Cam McInnes 50 tackles.
- Josh Jackson NRL game 200 milestone.
- Ryan Matterson NRL game 100 milestone.
- Ben Condon makes his NRL debut for the North Queensland Cowboys.
- Mitch Aubusson overtakes Anthony Minichiello as the most capped Sydney Roosters player in history with 303 games.
- Max Feagai makes his NRL debut for the St George-Illawarra Dragons.
- Tom Ale makes his NRL debut for the New Zealand Warriors.
TEAM LIST TUESDAY
Match Reports from Shannon Meyer, Lachy MacCorquodale, Andrew Pelechaty, Jack Harbidge, Brendan Wood, Mitch Bourke, Brad Inger and Craig Cauchi.
South Sydney Rabbitohs Vs Canterbury Bulldogs
North Queensland Cowboys Vs Penrith Panthers
Parramatta Eels Vs Brisbane Broncos
Manly Sea Eagles Vs Gold Coast Titans
Melbourne Storm Vs Wests Tigers
Sydney Roosters Vs Cronulla Sharks
Canberra Raiders Vs New Zealand Warriors
Newcastle Knights Vs St George-Illawarra Dragons