2020 SL Play-off, Warrington 14 Hull FC 27, Report

Hull FC beat Warrington Wolves in the first Super League Play-Off elimination match to take another step towards a home Grand Final at the KCOM Stadium.

Embed from Getty Images


Minute Scoring Play Score
19th Try Bureta Faraimo (Hull FC) Hull FC 4-0
20th Goal Marc Sneyd (Hull FC) Hull FC 6-0
24th Try Matthew Ashton (Warrington Wolves) Hull FC 6-4
29th Try Anthony Gelling (Warrington Wolves) Warrington Wolves 8-6
33rd Try Joe Cator (Hull FC) Hull FC 10-8
35th Goal Marc Sneyd (Hull FC) Hull FC 12-8
40th Drop Goal Marc Sneyd (Hull FC) Hull FC 13-8
43rd Try Tevita Satae (Hull FC) Hull FC 17-8
44th Goal Marc Sneyd (Hull FC) Hull FC 19-8
52nd Try Matthew Ashton (Warrington Wolves) Hull FC 19-12
54th Goal Stefan Ratchford (Warrington Wolves) Hull FC 19-14
69th Goal Marc Sneyd (Hull FC) Hull FC 21-14
77th Try Jake Connor Hull FC 25-14
78th Goal Marc Sneyd (Hull FC) Hull FC 27-14


1st Half

Marc Sneyd stole the show with expert kicking and three assists as Hull FC triumphed 14-27 over Warrington Wolves to move into the 2020 Super League semi-finals.

The Black and Whites only participate in this year’s play-offs due to a change in the format, but went into the grudge match in good form, having won four of their last five fixtures and opened the scoring when Bureta Faraimo went over midway through the first forty.

Matty Ashton hit back for the home side, but Joe Cator’s crossing and Sneyd’s kicking, two conversions and a drop-goal, saw the visitors hold a slim lead at half time, while Wolves stalwart Stefan Ratchford missed twice.

Tryscorer Cator embodied Hull’s efforts, relentlessly bullying the hosts’ defence in attack and eventually got his try, the last of the half.

Pre-match, this fixture was tinged slightly for Hull as ex-boss Lee Radford was sacked shortly after their home mauling courtesy of the Wolves earlier in the campaign, the last match before lockdown one in fact, but the side from East Yorkshire definitely got their revenge.

2nd Half

Chris Satae added to Faraimo and Cator’s first-half scores before Ashton scored his second thanks to Blake Austin’s sensational surge, but that proved to be Warrington’s best play of the half, certainly their most productive.

Hull saw the game out to win rather comfortably in the end, despite the respectable scoreline, as Sneyd kicked again before and after Jake Connor’s try late on.

Hull can now prepare for the semi-finals and the chance to contest the Grand Final in their own backyard but.

For Warrington, they slipped out of the knockout stages disappointingly for the second campaign in succession and have an early end to a season full of uncertainty which, unfortunately, seems like it may continue into next season, whenever it may start.


Despite being on the losing side, Warrington’s Blake Austin produced the standout moment of the game when he powered forwards before offloading to Ashton to keep his team in the game at that stage. The Wolves didn’t roar come full time, but they certainly did in that moment.

Embed from Getty Images


Warrington Wolves: Ratchford, Ashton, Gelling, King, Charnley; Austin, Widdop; Hill, D. Clark, Philbin, Currie, Hughes, J. Clark

Interchanges: Davis, Murdoch-Masila, Robson, Mamo

Hull FC: Connor, Naulago, Fonua, Griffin, Faraimo; Tuimavave, Sneyd; Taylor, Johnstone, Bowden, Ma’u, Cator, Savelio

Interchanges: Houghton, Satae, Sao, Fash

Referee: L. Moore.

Other Articles

Translate »