Here’s all you need to know about Round 16 of the NRL. The NSW Knock On Effect Cup and Intrust Super Cup matches were postponed due to COVID lockdowns.
Week In The NRL
- June 28: NSW defeat QLD 26-0 in game 2 and win the series.
- June 29: Nathan Cleary ruled out of NSW game 3 squad after suffering a shoulder injury in game 2.
- June 29: Canberra Raiders re-sign Sebastian Kris (2024) and Xavier Savage (2023).
- June 29: NRL Team News for Round 16 announced.
- June 29: Knock On Effect Cup (NSW) matches for the next two rounds postponed due to the COVID outbreak.
- June 30: Gold Coast Titans re-sign Corey Thompson (2023).
- June 30: North Queensland Cowboys cancel training after coach Todd Payten came into close contact with a COVID case at the Townsville Markets. Payten is ordered to self-quarantine for 14 days.
- June 30: Canberra Raiders re-sign Semi Valemei (2024).
- June 30: Canterbury Bulldogs receive COVID breach notice with proposed $50,000 fine. Dylan Napa ($5,000), Brandon Wakeham ($1,750), Corey Waddell ($1,500), Sione Katoa ($1,250) and Aaron Schoupp ($250) receive breach notices.
- June 30: Josh Dugan receives COVID breach notice with proposed $25,000 fine.
- July 1: Nick Cotric suffers a toe injury at training which will see him unlikely return in 2021.
- July 1: Brisbane Broncos sign Kurt Capewell (2024).
- July 1: Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles re-sign Sean Keppie (2024), Brad Parker (2023) and Reuben Garrick (2023).
- July 1: New Zealand Warriors sign Matt Lodge effective immediately (2022).
- July 2: Ronaldo Mulitalo confirmed as being ineligible for State of Origin selection under current rules.
- July 2: Jake Opacic, brother of Parramatta Eels player Tom Opacic killed in a hit-and-run accident on the Gold Coast.
- July 2: Greg Inglis released by Warrington Wolves.
- July 2: Intrust Super Cup Round 12 matches postponed until the weekend of July 24-25 due to the COVID outbreak.
- July 3: Jarome Luai ruled out of NSW game 3 squad after suffering a medial ligament injury in the Penrith Panthers Vs Parramatta Eels match.
- July 4: Reports that a group of St George-Illawarra players are under investigation for partying at the home of Paul Vaughan under NSW stay at home orders.
National Rugby League
Sydney Roosters 0 Melbourne Storm 46 (McDonald Jones Stadium – 4,289)
Match Report: https://nothingbutleague.com/2021/07/01/2021-nrl-round-16-roosters-0-storm-46-report/
MOTM Points: 3 – Josh Addo-Carr (Storm), 2 – Nicho Hynes (Storm), 1 – Cameron Munster (Storm)
New Zealand Warriors 18 St George-Illawarra Dragons 19 (Central Coast Stadium – no attendance)
Match Report: https://nothingbutleague.com/2021/07/02/2021-nrl-round-16-warriors-18-dragons-19-report/
MOTM Points: 3 – Ben Hunt (Dragons), 2 – Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (Warriors), 1 – Paul Vaughan (Dragons)
Penrith Panthers 13 Parramatta Eels 12 (BlueBet Stadium – no attendance)
Match Report: https://nothingbutleague.com/2021/07/03/2021-nrl-round-16-panthers-13-eels-12-report/
MOTM Points: 3 – Apisai Koroisau (Panthers), 2 – Isaiah Papali’i (Eels), 1 – Tyrone May (Panthers)
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 0 Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 66 (Bankwest Stadium – no attendance)
Match Report: https://nothingbutleague.com/2021/07/03/2021-nrl-round-16-bulldogs-0-sea-eagles-66-report/
MOTM Points: 3 – Jason Saab (Sea Eagles), 2 – Tom Trbojevic (Sea Eagles), 1 – Reuben Garrick (Sea Eagles)
Canberra Raiders 6 Gold Coast Titans 44 (GIO Stadium – 7,646)
Match Report: https://nothingbutleague.com/2021/07/04/2021-nrl-round-16-raiders-6-titans-44-report/
Newcastle Knights 38 North Queensland Cowboys 0 (McDonald Jones Stadium – 7,610)
Match Report: https://nothingbutleague.com/2021/07/03/2021-nrl-round-16-knights-38-cowboys-0-report/
MOTM Points: 3 – Kalyn Ponga (Knights), 2 – Jake Clifford (Knights), 1 – Dominic Young (Knights)
Game 7 and Score (Suncorp Stadium – 13,840)
Match Report: https://nothingbutleague.com/2021/07/04/2021-nrl-round-16-broncos-26-sharks-18-report/
MOTM Points: 3 – Payne Haas (Broncos), 2 – Tesi Niu (Broncos), 1 – Kotoni Staggs
Wests Tigers 22 South Sydney Rabbitohs 38 (Leichhardt Oval – no attendance)
Match Report: https://nothingbutleague.com/2021/07/04/2021-nrl-round-16-tigers-22-rabbitohs-38-report/
MOTM Points: 3 – Campbell Graham (Rabbitohs), 2 – Cameron Murray (Rabbitohs), 1 – Adam Reynolds (Rabbitohs)