2022 NRL Round 2, Sharks 18 Eels 16 – Report

Chloe Schibeci reports on the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks’ last minute win over Parramatta Eels at PointsBet Stadium.



Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks 18
Tries: Ronaldo Mulitalo (11), Sione Katoa (28), Connor Tracey (57), Teig Wilton (79)
Goals: Nicho Hynes (79)

Parramatta Eels 16
Tries: Mitch Moses (39), Reed Mahoney (62)
Goals: Clint Gutherson 4 (40, 49, 54, 63)


Embed from Getty Images

1st Half

It was an exciting occasion for the Cronulla Sharks, who played their first game back at home on Saturday afternoon, after 930 days away. They temporarily moved their home ground to Jubilee Oval while renovations were done to PointsBet.

The Eels were ready to attack from the minute play started. Within a few minutes, they were over for a try. Unfortunately for them, their try was disallowed.

Ronaldo Mulitalo scored the first points for the Sharks and in the game. Unconverted, the Sharks led by four points.

As the game continued to progress, the Eels were disallowed once more, while the Sharks scored another unconverted try through Sione Katoa. The home side looked on top, in both attack and defence.

Not too long after, the Eels started to get lucky with possession in the Sharks’ half. They were given a couple of six again calls just shy of the Cronulla line.

The Sharks’ defence was looking great until the Eels scored with 40 seconds to go. Moses kicked, and the ball was returned to him through a few passes. He scored to put Parramatta on the board for the first time all afternoon.

After a solid contest by both sides, the Sharks went into the sheds ahead by only two points. A big second half was to come.

HALF-TIME: Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks 8 Parramatta Eels 6

Embed from Getty Images

2nd Half

Parramatta came out guns blazing, holding onto possession in the first ten minute, giving the Sharks little to no chances to retaliate. Despite no tries, they found themselves ahead for the first time all game after being given two penalties, both of which they opted for the two points.

After losing their lead, the Sharks were given possession and a penalty with 23 remaining, hopeful to gain some momentum to put themselves back in the contest.

Connor Tracey crossed for a third Cronulla try. It was called back for a possible obstruction; however, it was cleared by the bunker and the Sharks were back on top.

The Eels hit back not long after with Reed Mahoney scoring to put the Eels back on top. A frantic contest was well and truly under way at this point, and still, sixteen minutes remained.

The contest between the Sharks and the Eels was heating up, both desperate to score points while holding up tough defensive structures.

Parramatta were about to extend their lead, however, the referee called up a forward pass before Moses got the chance to score.

Cronulla made their way down to the Eels’ line after gaining possession in their own half. A desperate tackle on the last saved a try for the Sharks. The back and forth continued into the final five minutes.

In an epic final minute to a relentless and entertaining Saturday afternoon game, Teig Wilton scored to level the scores. Nicho Hynes kicked a conversion right on the bell to give them the two points they needed to claim the victory in their return to their home stadium.

FULL-TIME: Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks 18 Parramatta Eels 16


Embed from Getty Images

3 pts – Nicho Hynes (Sharks), 2 pts – Clint Gutherson (Eels), 1 pt – Matt Moylan (Sharks)

Follow Nothing But League on Facebook.

Other Articles

Leave a Reply

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Translate »