2022 NRL Round 9, Sharks 29 Warriors 10 – Report

Brad Inger reviews the Round 9 clash between the Sharks and the Warriors at PointsBet Stadium; here’s how the match went.



Cronulla Sutherland Sharks 29
Nicho Hynes 7, Teig Wilton 29, Connor Tracey 46, 66, Jesse Ramien 76
Goals: Nicho Hynes 7, 30, 68, 76

Field Goal: Nicho Hynes 73

Red Card: Will Kennedy 16

Sinbin: Jesse Ramien 53

New Zealand Warriors 10
Tries: Dallin Watene-Zeleniak 17, Viliami Vailea 21
Goals: Reece Walsh 22


Embed from Getty Images

1st Half

The Warriors started the match with enthusiasm and after earning themselves, a penalty, barged up the field deep into Sharks territory.

Some slick passing almost sent Euan Aitken across the try line, but some solid defence stopped him in his tracks.

The Warriors had another shot when they put up a kick, but it was defused safely by Sione Katoa.

The sides traded error-free sets for a spell until a poor defensive read by the visitors saw Jesse Ramien get a half-break before shifting the ball to Katoa, who then got it to Nicho Hynes, who ran the remaining 40 metres to score the first try of the afternoon.

The New Zealand side fought back with a robust set and earnt themselves a repeat set after Shaun Johnson pushed a grubber into the dead ball area, which Katoa had to bat over the sideline.

The Warriors had a few attempts at getting across the line, but the Sharks goal line defence held firm and forced an error from Matt Lodge.

The home side looked ready to get themselves out of trouble but made an error themselves, handing the ball back to the New Zealand side in great field position.

Reece Walsh made a little break before getting clotheslined by Will Kennedy; this saw the fullback getting his marching orders.

With a one man advantage, the Warriors wasted little time and shifted the ball quickly to the right edge for Dallin Watene-Zeleaniak to score.

A few moments later, the visitors were over again after Walsh spied a gap and darted away before flicking a pass to Daejarn Asi, who punched a kick through for Viliami Vailea to score.

An error on the next set handed the Sharks the let off they needed, and they piled on the pressure, earning several repeat sets before finally getting across the line when Teig Wilton crashed through the tackle of Johnson; Hynes converted to hand the Sharks back the lead.

The Warriors looked sure to score again but looked lost on the fifth tackle with the ball switching to several players before Watene-Zeleaniak finally put a wayward kick through, which Katoa quickly scooped up.

The Sharks got themselves all the way down the other end of the paddock again and almost scored via Wilton again, but he was deemed to have lost the ball, letting the Warriors off the hook.

The sides traded a few more sets before Hynes attempted a cross kick for Katoa; as time was running out, the ball did not stick and bounced over the sideline as the siren sounded, seeing the home side go into the sheds with a two point lead.

HALF-TIME: Cronulla Suther Sharks 12 New Zealand Warriors 10

Embed from Getty Images

2nd Half

The Warriors looked threatening right out of the gates but lacked polish, Johnson put a kick up on the fifth tackle for Adam Pompey, who managed to catch it and flick it back inside for Vailea, but Hynes managed a huge try-saving effort, forcing an error out of the young centre.

The New Zealand side were asking questions again a few sets later, but an unforced error by Johnson handed the ball back to the home side.

Cronulla had a solid set earning themselves a repeat set, and they wasted little time, moving the ball out to the left before Siosifa Talakai sent Connor Tracey over in the corner to push the lead out to six.

The sides went set for set with neither able to gain the upper hand until Jesse Ramien was sin-binned for a high shot on Aitken.

With a two-man advantage, the Warriors made it hard for themselves with some poor attacking plays and handed the ball back to the Sharks with a wayward pass.

The Sharks marched up the field with ease but could not convert it into points; the New Zealand side surged up the field with the aid of a penalty but once again looked lost with the ball in hand and made a poor last tackle option.

Cronulla dominated this game despite the circumstances and had several sets camped on the Warrior’s line. The visitors were scrambling, but eventually, the Sharks were over again when Tracey dotted down for his second try after a massive cut-out pass caught the Warriors napping.

With a 12 point lead, the Sharks looked unstoppable and continued to charge up the field, and it looked like Tracey was over again, but the pass was deemed forward.

After several horrible attacking sets, the Warriors managed a more balanced set and completed it only to give away a penalty, allowing the Sharks to stride up the field before Hynes pushed his side’s lead out to 13 with a field goal.

Cronulla were not finished yet, moving up the field with ease, Hynes put a kick up, which was tapped back, and the Warriors looked to have wrapped the ball carrier, but gave up on the tackle, which saw the ball offloaded to Ramien, who crossed for the Sharks fifth try of the night.

The Sharks were penalised deep in their own half, handing the Warriors ideal field position; however, they continued to look clueless on attack, shifting the ball from left to right and back again before Daejarn Asi dropped the ball, seeing the final whistle blow has the Sharks end a dominate display winning 29-10.

FULL-TIME: Cronulla Sutherland Sharks 29 New Zealand Warriors 10


Embed from Getty Images

3 pts – Nicho Hynes (Sharks), 2 pts – Connor Tracey (Sharks), 1 pt – Teig Wilton (Sharks)

Follow Nothing But League on Facebook.

Other Articles

Leave a Reply

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Translate »