Intrust Super Cup Round 17 Results Wrap Up

Another big weekend of action in the Intrust Super Cup Round 17, a weekend where five of the top 6 all won to make life difficult for the chasing pack.

The only Top 6 side that didn’t win was the Sunshine Coast, who played fellow top 6 side and were undone by a late field goal from the Tigers. They dropped from second to third as result.

The PNG Hunters still lead the way in the Intrust Super Cup after a late hat trick to fullback Stargroth Amean sealed the win, and now lead by two points from Redcliffe Dolphins who moved into second place. The Falcons are still yet to get a bye though.

Easts, Townsville and Souths Logan, all winners in Round 17, round out the Top 6. They are 4 points ahead of Ipswich who had a good win against Tweed Heads, and 5 ahead of Mackay who just got home over the Pride on Sunday. Ipswich and Mackay are really the only reasonable chances to make up that gap by finals time.

You can follow the action, results and ladder from Round 17 and all the rounds at our Intrust Super Cup.


We have a quick run down of all of the Intrust Super Cup Round 17 games below, for more details including full results and scores click on the links to each match. Or for all the games and ladder our Intrust Super Cup Match Centre.


The Ipswich Jets answered back after being beaten 44-0 by Burleigh last weekend by scoring 40 points themselves in a comfortable win over the Tweed Heads Seagulls on Saturday afternoon.

The 7 tries to 3 victory was all but sealed at half time as the Jets had already run in five tries to one, and speedy winger Michael Purcell sealed at hat trick in just 16 minutes. Regular readers will recognise Michael Purcell as a name put forward where possible as a player to watch, and why wouldn’t you when there is a try scoring freak with as much ability and skills on offer as he does, despite being close to the smallest rugby league player in the game.

He wasn’t the only scorer in the first half, as the Jets went back to back from the 9th minutes when Nemani Valekapa opened the scoring and Wes Conlon scored two minutes later. For Conlon it was a big day out as his two tries and six goals gave him 20 points for the day and sees him climb the Intrust Super Cup point scoring ladder.

Tweed Heads did get back in the game in the second half, scoring the first two tries after the break, but they were unable to carry that momentum, and indeed Ipswich added salt with two late tries in the last three minutes.

The result sees Tweed Heads remain at the bottom of the Intrust Super Cup ladder, whilst Ipswich got the much needed win to stay in the race for the finals, especially after sixth placed Souths Logan had won later in the evening.

Find out more here.



A late field goal from Brayden Torpy proved the difference between the two Melbourne Storm feeder clubs Easts Tigers and Sunshine Coast Falcons at Suzuki Stadium Langlands Park on a Saturday evening where Nate Myles made his Intrust Super Cup debut.

The previous encounter between these two sides in Round ended in a 7-7 draw, and once again there was nothing in this match up. The Sunshine Coast had the early running through early tries to PNG International Justin Olam and Sam Wright which saw them out to a 10-0 lead by the 8th minute. The Tigers hit back through Linc Port first and then Jarrod McInally just before half time to have the scored level at 10-10.

A 44th minute penalty saw the Tigers sneak ahead for the first time, but not long after the Falcons crossed and retook the lead 16-12. The Easts Tigers scored in the 74th minute, but the score remained at 16-16 after Brayden Torpy missed the conversion. However, he more than made up for a few minutes later with the winning one pointer for the win.

Easts’ win sees them within two points of the Falcons, who have yet to have the luxury of a bye. It gives them the upper hand for the finals as these teams will no doubt be involved in later in the season and likely to meet at some stage.

Find out more here.



Souths Logan Magpies continued their progress in 2017 by holding off a second half charge from Wynnum Seagulls to move to fifth on the ladder temporarily.

The Magpies led 12-0 at half time after two tries in six minutes in the first half, and extended that lead further still seven minutes after half time with a second try to Luke Archer.

Wynnum finally got some points on the board in the 54th minute, and crossed another two times in the second half, but unfortunately Souths Logan had one more try in them as well keeping the Seagulls at arm’s length and grabbing the two competition points.

The loss probably spells the end of Wynnum’s chances for finals in 2017, but for the Magpies it has only just begun.

Find out more here.



An 80th minute try to the Cutters sealed a 26-18 win over the Northern Pride in Cairns, but it was ultimately goal kicking and  penalty that proved the difference in the weekend’s TV game.

Both sides scored 4 tries, but it was the superior goal kicking of Mackay’s Jack Joass that proved the difference as his Northern Pride counterpart only kicked one of his four attempts.

The Northern Pride did well to get back into the game, as they were down 18-0 after 35 minutes, after Mackay’s Yamba Bowie scored the first of his two tries in the 8th minute. The Pride scored just before half time to reduce the score to 18-4 at half time. Their next three tries made the game very interesting as with just 10 minutes to go the Pride were within two points. They couldn’t break through or stop the Cutters last minute try.

It was a great follow up for the Cutters after their huge win at Bishop Park last weekend. They remain one of two other teams that are in a reasonable enough position and form to push for the Top 6 finals spots. The Pride remain in the bottom three.

Find out more here.



Redcliffe completed a double over their Grand Final rivals from 2016, and effectively ended their chances at defending their crown in 2017 at the same time with the 32-16 at Pizzey Park.

Burleigh were unable to build on their 44-0 thrashing of Ipswich the previous week, as the Dolphins led from the 6th minute and never relinquished the lead. When the Bears crossed for the first time in the 32nd minute they had closed the gap down to 10-6 which remained the half time score.

The second half was a different matter, and not for the first time this season the Redcliffe Dolphins put on a bunch of unanswered tries in short succession to swing the game heavily to the Dolphins. Four tries in just 14 minutes, including Daniel Bridge completing his hat trick, blew the game apart for Redcliffe and saw the score blow out to 32-6.

Burleigh added some respectability to the score with two tries in four minutes, but it wasn’t enough to stop Redcliffe from moving to second place on the ladder, and make it very difficult for Burleigh to make the finals.

Find out more here.




A late hat trick from Stargroth Amean saved the PNG Hunters from suffering another shock home loss against the Central Capras who pushed the competition leaders in Port Moresby.

The match started off in fine fashion for the Hunters when fan favourite Willie Minoga crossed for the game’s first game in just the 6th minute on his return to the centres where he made such a big impact earlier in the season.

Central Capras replied halfway through the first half, and the conversion made it 6-6, which was the half time score. And the home side must have been worried when the Capras crossed first in the second half to lead 10-6, memories of the previous home loss against last placed Tweed Heads fresh in their minds.

In amongst the errors from both sides, something in the Hunters clicked and in the 62nd minute Israel Eliab scored to snatch back the lead. That lead was extended quickly as Stargroth Amean scored a quick fire hat trick with three tries in 9 minutes from the 70th. The PNG fullback has really stepped up since being named Man of the Match for the Kumuls win over the Cook Islands.

The win sees the PNG Hunters taking full advantage of the Sunshine Coasts loss the previous night and extending their competition lead by two points for now. Central look to be confined to the bottom half of the ladder.

Find out more here.



The Blackhawks continued their winning ways, and ensured the Devils continued their losing ways with a tight 12-6 win in the weekend’s final game.

All of the points in the game came in the first 21 minutes, after Carlin Anderson converted his second try of the afternoon to snavel all the points for the Blackhawks and retain his position at the top of the Intrust Super Cup point scoring list.

Carlin Anderson’s first try came after just two minutes, and after Norths replied five minutes later it looked like it could be a high scoring afternoon at Jack Manski Oval. But that wasn’t to be the case as the game saw 59 minutes without scoring after Townsville’s second try.

The Blackhawks are in fifth place on the ladder, Norths double that in 10th, but there is a big gap between the two in terms of points, and the Devils look unlikely for finals now.

Find out more here.

Other Articles

Leave a Reply

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Translate »