Here’s a chronological look at news from the National Rugby League, Super League and other competitions in 2021.
NRL and Super League draw and team lists
- 2021 NRL squad listing
- 2021 NRL Draw
- 2021 Super League squad numbers
- 2021 Super League Draw (to be announced)
Our Social Media Accounts
Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | Jun | Jul | Aug | Sep | Oct | Nov | Dec
- Darcy Lussick joins Salford Red Devils (2021)
- Huddersfield Giants investigating a minority of players who breached Tier 3 COVID protocols. The matter to be dealt with internally.
- New Zealand Warriors fly out to Australia to mandatory quarantine ahead of the 2021 NRL Season.
- Parramatta Eels clarify Junior Paulo’s availability following newspaper reports that he is scheduled to fight ex-NRL player Neville Costigan this month.
- Tony Gigot released by Wakefield Trinity.
- Kane Bradley joins North Queensland Cowboys (2022).
- Tukimihia Simpkins joins Wests Tigers (2023).
- Reports that Gareth Widdop is returning to the UK after missing out on a contract in the NRL.
- Leeds Rhinos announce their 2021 squad numbers.
- Stevie Ward retires from rugby league.
- United Kingdom COVID lockdown results in the RFL advising Championship and League 1 clubs to pause training, while Super League clubs will need to follow protocols at training. The draw for the first two rounds of the Challenge Cup are on hold.
- Mitchell Pearce stands down as Newcastle Knights captain.
- Hull Kingston Rovers announce their 2021 squad numbers.
- Leeds Rhinos Luke Gale suffers torn pec injury at training.
- Romain Navarrete leaves Wigan Warriors to join London Broncos (2021).
- Canterbury Bulldogs CEO Andrew Hill resigns.
- Ryan Lannon (2023) and Josh Johnson (2023) re-sign with Salford Red Devils.
- Wakefield Trinity promote Sam Eseh Junior (2024) and Patrick O’Donovan (2024) to their first team.
- Lance Corporal Lloyd Wheeldon joins Castleford Tigers (1 month trial).
- David Nofoaluma re-signs with Wests Tigers (2025).
- Isaiah Tass joins Brisbane Broncos (2021-development).
- Melbourne Storm launch their 2021 home jersey.
- Former Newcastle Knights half Jarrod Mullen joins Sunshine Coast Falcons (2021).
- Super League season delayed by two-weeks and will commence on March 25. The RFL have delayed the start of the Rugby League Championship and League 1.
- Huddersfield Giants announce their 2021 squad numbers.
- Ben Te’o re-signs with Brisbane Broncos (2021).
- King Vuniyayawa joins Leeds Rhinos (2021).
- Payne Haas arrested by NSW Police with offensive language and intimidating police.
- Huddersfield Giants Ashton Golding suffers a shoulder injury at training and will miss the start of the Super League season.
- NRL and Players Association agree to 6% reduction in 2021 ($9.02m) and 2022 ($9.11m) salary caps; $15,000 Origin payments for participating players.
- South Sydney Rabbitohs Brock Gardner suffered a torn Achilles at training and is expected to miss 6-9 months.
- Reports that ex-NRL referee boss Bernard Sutton has joined Melbourne Storm in a consultancy role.
- Brisbane Broncos Alex Glenn granted a testimonial match when they play North Queensland Cowboys in a trial match at Redcliffe on February 27.
- Catalans Dragons release a statement clarifying reports about Israel Folau’s future following speculation he’s switching to rugby union: “The club and Israel Folau have been in constant dialogue since Christmas regarding a personal family situation. This along with Covid restrictions are currently preventing his return to France.”
- Junior Moors leaves Castleford Tigers to join Featherstone Rovers (2021).
- Canberra Raiders Tom Starling has six of seven charges dropped by police during a court appearance in Gosford for an incident that occurred on December 5, 2020. He is pleading not guilty to the remaining charge.
- Ethan Bullemor re-signs with Brisbane Broncos (2022).
- Leeds Rhinos close their training grounds for a minimum of five days following six players and one staff member testing positive for COVID-19.
- Huddersfield Giants close their training grounds for a minimum of five days following a number of positive tests for COVID-19.
- Malakai Watene-Zelezniak has announced his retirement from rugby league following a recent health scare.
- David Bolton passes away at age 83 (27/4/1937 to 21/1/2021). Bolton appeared 300 times for Wigan (1954-64), before heading to Balmain for 78 appearances (1965-1970). Bolton represented Great Britain eight times. He also coached the Parramatta Eels (1973-1974).
- The RFL have announced the start of the Rugby League Championship on the weekend of Easter (April 2-4) with a top six play-off series in September and October. Championship 1 will start on the weekend of May 8-9.