SUPER 8s MATCH REPORT | Hull FC 8-28 Castleford Tigers

Hull FC lost their eight consecutive game as Castleford claim their first win at the KCOM Stadium in three attempts, clinching their place in the semi-finals. Here’s our verdict…


It took 18 minutes for the game’s first try, and it went the way of Castleford. Jake Trueman’s kick ricochet off Jordan Lane and went perfectly into the hands of Mike McMeeken who just prods on and dives over.

They hit double figures just before the half hour mark after FC spilled the ball for a knock-on which was straight from a tap restart on their own line. Castleford soon applied the pressure, Junior Moors got the ball and powered through the Black and Whites defence to score.

Just before the half time whistle, Hull had the chance to make it 6-12 but their pass bounced off Shenton’s head and Greg Eden intercepted the ball to run the length of the field and score.

The hosts got the second half underway and bagged an early try as Mata’utia rode the tackle of Liam Harris and got the offload away to Eden to crash over for his second try of the game.

Castleford Tigers continued their dominance with their fifth try of the game. Jake Trueman played a part in creating it, as he held the defenders firm before popping it to Michael Shenton and after the final pass James Clare dived into the corner.

Just before the half hour mark Hull FC got off the mark thanks to some lovely interchanging passing between Sika Manu and Jamie Shaul, with Carlos Tuimavave there to finish the fine passage of play.

Ten minutes later the hosts score again when Hakim Miloudi showed his wheels and duly doubled Hull FC’s tally. This time the deflection goes the way of the home side and once the Frenchman pounced on the ball there was no stopping him.

However the hosts didn’t have enough time to comeback from a 20-point deficit, but had at least restored some pride.


Hull FC’s season is far from over

It was clear from the start that the Black and Whites were playing for pride but their tough run continued tonight.

Last week skipper Danny Houghton told Sky Sports that they’re in a dark place, but in the last 20 minutes of the game there looked to have been a glimmer of light.

Castleford possess a dynamic duo

Luke Gale made his second appearance since returning from injury, and the Man of Steel is developing a wonderful partnership with fellow half-back Jake Trueman.

Gale as well as the youngsters produced some wonderful rugby, you could only fault the team as they conceded one too many penalties.

Man of the Match – Paul McShane (Castleford Tigers)

Super League’s toughest forward continued to impress tonight as he got stuck in to tonight’s game.

Although he hasn’t got on the scoresheet, his contributions to the team were top class.


Hull FC – 8
Tries: Tuimavave (59′), Miloudi (69′).
Goals: Faraimo (0/2)
Drop Goals: n/a

Castleford Tigers – 28
Tries: McMeeken (18′), Moors (29′), Eden (37′, 43′), Clare (51′)
Goals: Gale (4/5)
Drop Goals: n/a


Hull FC: Shaul, Faraimo, Tuimavave, Scott, Talanoa, Miloudi, Harris, Taylor, Houghton, Matongo, Washbrook, Manu, Hadley.

Interchanges: Fash, Bienek, Lane, Litten.

Castleford Tigers: Mata’utia, Clare, Wardle, Shenton, Eden, Trueman, Gale, Watts, McShane, Millington, Holmes, McMeeken, Massey.

Interchanges: Roberts, Moors, Milner, Clark.

Referee: Gareth Hewer

Other Articles

Leave a Reply

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Translate »