Intrust Super Cup Round 11 review

Another great weekend of rugby league to discuss as the Intrust Super Cup Round 11 comes to a close.

The big guns of the competition kept their premiership aspirations on track, but there was still room for a surprising result in Townsville.

Redcliffe and PNG Hunters still share the competition lead, with the Sunshine Coast Falcons still just one point away. Not much change elsewhere , although the Wynnum Seagulls got their first win since round 3, by inflicting more pain on the Burleigh Bears.

We have a short run down of the results from Intrust Super Cup Round 11, but we a more detailed report available if you follow the links to each specific match. Or visit our Intrust Super Cup Match Centre for all the games, scores and ladder.

The Intrust Super Cup Round 11 action started in Ipswich as Ipswich Jets were beaten 32-12 by the PNG Hunters. The Hunters led 20-0 at half time, and that was thanks to some great discipline and execution in attack, and plenty of favours from Ipswich through possession gifted to them by errors. The second half saw much of the same, but Ipswich did threaten to make a game of it, getting within 8 points with more than enough time to snatch victory. Unfortunately The Jets butchered a couple of certain tries, and were punished by the Hunters as they scored twice in the last seven minutes to add salt to the Ipswich wounds. It ended Ipswich 4 game unbeaten run. The Hunters retain the competition lead with Redcliffe.

A team fancied for success continued their great 2017 season as the Sunshine Coast Falcons defeated the Mackay Cutters by 28-18. For the second weekend in a row the Cutters did very well in one of the toughest road trips in the Intrust Super Cup but unfortunately it wasn’t enough to come away with the two competition points. The Cutters led 14-10 at half time as both sides scored two tries each, but Mackay landed two penalty goals which proved the difference. The Falcons hit back first in the second half with the first of a double for Jahrome Hughes, but Mackay did reply and with less than half an hour to play it was 18-16 in the visitors favour. The Sunshine coast aren’t around the top of the Intrust Super Cup for no reason, and put on the next two tries to seal a hard fought win over a gallant Cutters side who have nothing to show for two week’s great effort against two of the three best teams in the competition away from home.

The TV game in Townsville almost saw a big upset, as the Townsville Blackhawks were lucky to draw 26 all with the Central Capras on Sunday afternoon as a slightly controversial call robbed the Capras of a win. The Blackhawks recent form has been a concern with some surprising home losses, and their result against the lowly Capras that required a last minute try and sideline conversion to salvage a draw will not have eased that pressure. The Blackhawks Jonathon Rueben did all he could to inspire the home with no less than four tries, and the first of those in the first minute, but a Capras fightback in the second half saw them take the lead and almost hold on until the last minute try. The controversy of the finish was that Rueben had crossed in the corner, but the referee went to the video referee who overruled the on field decision of no try despite there not being any concrete evidence to overturn the decision. Hard on the Capras who deserved victory. The drawn result does prove again that there’s nothing wrong with a draw, despite what the NRL/NFL will tell you.

Souths Logan Magpies beat the Northern Pride 42-28 and proved the win in Townsville was no fluke, and that they enjoy playing the northern Queensland sides. It didn’t take long for the Magpies to get underway, with Scott Doyle crossing for the home side in just the second minute. The Pride responded four minutes later, but so too did the Magpies with another three tries by the 23rd minute including a second for Scott Doyle to hold a 24-4 lead. The Pride had a run of tries of their own however, and scored in the 30th and 35th minute to draw within 8 points, which was the margin at half time. Another three try burst in 16 minutes for Souths Logan in the second half took the game away from the Cairns based side, who managed a couple of consolation tries late. Souths Logan climb to fifth and remain just one point behind the fourth placed Tigers.

It looks like having a three week break between games worked wonders for breaking a winless run from Round 3 was ended on Sunday as Wynnum beat Burleigh 28-4. Burleigh were first to score through Kurtis Rowe in the 7th minute, but that was all the joy the defending premiers would have as Wynnum laid on five unanswered tries to break their long losing streak. Two tries before the break, in which Wynnum led 10-4, and three after the break was enough for Wynnum to grab a much needed win, and keep them in the race for the Top 6. They will need a run of wins the size of the losing run at minimum to stand a chance. Burleigh, stuck on just two wins for the season, continued an awful 2017 for Gold Coast clubs, and will be lucky to move away from the bottom three at the current rate.

Tyson Gamble celebrated his recent contract signing with the NRL side Wests Tigers by scoring a hat trick and helping the Redcliffe Dolphins beat the Norths Devils 22-12. It was another tight first half at Dolphin Oval, as the in form Norths Devils took a 6-4 half time lead, with a try a piece in the first 40 minutes. After the break, like they have so often done in 2017, the Dolphins put a quick burst of tries together with two in five minutes giving them a 10 point lead with 20 to play. Delouise Hoeter continued his strong try scoring form with the second of his double with five minutes to play, and the margin was just four points. Man of the moment Tyson Gamble had the final say with his third try on full time to seal a win to keep the Dolphins on top of the Intrust Super Cup for another week.

The favourites got a scare at the hands of a team with just one win in 2017 as the  Tweed Heads Seagulls v Easts Tigers clash ended a 28-16 Tigers win..  The Seagulls, not for the first time this year, scored some early tries to lead 10-0 after 8 minutes, with the NRL experience of Eddy Pettybourne crashing over after just three minutes. But three tries in 10 minutes from the Tigers either side of half time gave them all the momentum they need, and a 57th minute try gave the Tigers comfortable 12 point gap. It got a little uncomfortable at the fourth placed Tigers allowed NRL speedster William Zillman to score in the 68th minute, but the second try of a double to Cronk heir-in-waiting Brodie Croft in the last minute ensure that Easts stay in the top 6, and in the race for first. Tweed Heads remain last, and are still looking for a second win.

You can follow the action, results and ladder from Round 11 and all the rounds via our Intrust Super Cup Match Centre.

Subscribe to our weekly tips

We'll send you our weekly predictions once they're posted to NothingButLeague!

No spam, you can cancel at any time.

Other Articles

Leave a Reply

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Translate »