Intrust Super Cup Round 15 Results Wrap Up

Just the three games this weekend for the Intrust Super Cup Round 15, but it still produced one of the upsets of the season so far.

The Tweed Heads Seagulls did what most teams don’t and beat the PNG Hunters in Port Moresby. It was the second time this year the Tweed Heads side have beaten a first placed side. But this one was away in PNG no less.

Elsewhere the second placed Sunshine Coast Falcons also lost as Townsville found their mojo at home, making it a bad weekend for the top two.

Townsville’s win hurt the pack chasing the top 6 as their two points increased the gap to the teams below. With 10 rounds to go it will take a good run from below or a poor run from the one or more of the top 6 to change the current status quo.

Onto a quick run down of each game below. Click on the link for the full results or to our Match Centre for the Intrust Super Cup.

Townsville Blackhawks 36 Sunshine Coast Falcons 14

Townsville Blackhawks got back in the winner’s circle, and also did the chasing pack in the top 6 a favour as the they knocked off a slightly depleted Sunshine Coast Falcons 36-14 in Townsville.

Both sides provided players to their NRL affiliate who coincidentally played each other just after this game finished, but it was Townsville who handled that better to claim a vital victory against another Top 6 side.

Once the Townsville Blackhawks crossed for their second try in the 26th minute, they never looked back and were in control over the game. They took a 16-4 lead to the break after a first half double to the competition’s leading point scorer Carlin Anderson, who also scored the first try of the match after 3 minutes. Sunshine Coast replied in the 14th minute, but scored no more points in the first half.

There were more Falcons tries in the second half, but there were also another four Blackhawks tries as the home side dominated. 22-8 was as close as it got in the second half when the Falcons scored their second, and for every Falcon try there was a Townsville reply, or two. In the end Townsville scored seven tries to three, and Samsen O’Neill grabbed a second half double. One of which was an 80th minute special, at least this time the game was well in hand, as Townsville have got themselves out of losing situations with a last minute try in recent weeks.

The loss ended a six game winning streak for the Falcons, but they hold onto second just a point in front of Redcliffe. Townsville remain sixth but still have a bye up their sleeve.

PNG Hunters 10 Tweed Heads Seagulls 14

The Tweed Heads Seagulls have done it again. If people though their win a Piggabeen over the Dolphins was the upset of the year, get the eraser out as the last placed Seagulls have knocked off a second competition leader in four rounds, this time in even more impressive fashion by beating the PNG Hunters in Port Moresby.

Although they didn’t do it as emphatically as the win against Redcliffe, they were well in control leading 14-0 at half time courtesy of two converted tries and a penalty. The first of which was after just three minutes to halfback Michael Burgess, and their second was just before half time to workhorse Damian Sironen.

That was all the points the Seagulls would score going scoreless in the second half, so the question at half time was whether the lead was big enough. It eventuated that it was, but the Hunters made it interesting. A converted Adex Wera try reduced the gap to eight just after half time, and fan favourite Willie Minoga crossed with 10 minutes to go to make it four, but no further points came from either side and the Tweed Head Seagulls celebrated being just the third team to beat PNG Hunters in Port Moresby.

The win for Tweed Heads gives them a chance to get off the bottom when the byes even up, and the PNG Hunters retain the competition lead as the Falcons went down earlier on Saturday.

Wynnum Seagulls 16 Norths Devils 6

The Wynnum Seagulls followed on from their big win in the previous round over the Tweed Heads Seagulls, with a hard earned 16-6 win over the Norths in Sunday’s only fixture.

It didn’t take the home team long to have the home fans in the Chook Pen happy, as PNG international crossed in the first two minutes. They followed that up in the 25th minute with a try to Stedman Lefau.

Down 10-0 at the break, Norths came out with plenty of intent and had a lot of ball and chances to peg back the Seagulls. But as often happens when a side has all the chances to score and doesn’t the opposition break their spirits with a try of their own, and this happened when Wynnum’s Daniel Ogden crossed for the team’s third try. It brought the Wynnum fullback within one try of the all time Intrust Super Cup/Queensland try scoring record.

Norths scored a consolation try in the 72nd minute, but it was too late to mount a genuine challenge to the Seagulls. The win sees Wynnum overtake the Devils into eighth, but Norths still have a bye to come.

Other Articles

Leave a Reply

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Translate »