Intrust Super Cup Round 16 Results Wrap Up

The Intrust Super Cup Round 16 proved a good round for all but one of the top 6 sides and for all but one team playing away from home.

There were some big scores put on this weekend, Townsville and Mackay both scored 50 away from home, and the Bears kept the Jets scoreless whilst piling on 44 points themselves in the TV game.

The top three all got hard earned victories to remain the top 3. Souths Logan’s loss at the hands of Redcliffe was the only loss for a top 6 side. As a result the gap from 6th to 7th increases to 4 points. Tough work ahead for the chasing pack.


We have a quick run down of all of the Intrust Super Cup Round 16 games below, for more details including team lists and full scores click on the links to each match. Or for all the games and ladder our Intrust Super Cup Match Centre.


The PNG Hunters won their first competition game in Cairns against the Northern Pride, but only just. They were made to work very hard by the Northern Pride who led early and held on until the 72nd minute when the Hunters scored their third try of the night.

And those tries were early from the Pride as by the 7th minute the home side were 12-0 up thanks to Connor Jones and Sheldon Powe-Hobbs. The Hunters looked shell-shocked, and it was the worst possible start after last weekend’s shock loss at home to last place Tweed Heads.

The Hunters eventually hit back, with some fortune as a bomb directed at the Pride went unclaimed and a fortunate bounce was pounced on by Hunters hooker Wartovo Puara. With the conversion missed by the usually reliable Ase Boas the score was 12-4 at half time to the Pride, who almost extended that with a length of the field intercept which luckily for the Hunters didn’t end in points.

PNG came out with a little more purpose and fire in the second half, a little all in scuffle a few minutes after the break proving both sides were up it. Bland Abavu finished off a movement down the left in the 60th minute which saw the Hunter get within 4 points. Despite closing up the gap, the Hunters were still being placed under strong pressure from the home side, and some desperate defence kept them in the game.

Eventually they hit the front after a powerful run from Israel Eliab ended in a try in the 72nd minute, and was gladly converted by Ase Boas as the Hunters waited until late to hit the front for the first time.

But the game wasn’t done there. Ase Boas slotted a 76th minute penalty after being coathangered without the ball chasing an errant bounce in the Pride half. From that strategically placed kick off the Hunters knocked the ball on giving the Pride perfect position and a full set of six 30m out centre of the field.

The Hunters resisted that, but there was still some action to come as a another knock on from the Hunters after the siren had sounded led to confusion from officials whether the game was over or if a scrum needed to pack. Thankfully for the Hunters the whistle was blown and two hard earned points were in the bank. It keeps them on top of the Intrust Super Cup for now. The Pride are in danger of ending dead last at the end of this round.

Find out more here.



The Sunshine Coast kept in touch with the PNG Hunters at the top of the Intrust Super Cup ladder as they defeated the Wynnum Seagulls 30-12 who were looking for a third straight win.

Not even the return of Mathew Seamark for the Seagulls could keep their winning run going as the Falcons had the game in control throughout.

An early try in the third minute set the scene for the Falcons, and they held a handy 22-6 lead at half time thanks to two further tries and a couple of penalty goals. Wynnum waited until the 29th for their first points.

Just a try a piece for the sides in the second half, with PNG International Justin Olam being the first to cross in the 64th minute. That left the Falcons with a sizeable margin, that a 70th minute try for the Seagulls didn’t put too much of a dent into.

The win sees the Falcons remain just a point off the Hunters, but it is effectively a net lead of the Intrust Super Cup as the Sunshine Coast side have yet to have a bye. Wynnum remain in the midfield, having lost pace off the top 6.

Find out more here.



The Easts Tigers made it three wins from four in northern Queensland as they overcame the Central Capras in Rockhampton on Saturday night. They had previously beaten the Pride and Blackhawks.

They weren’t first to score as the Capras got on the board first, but once the Tigers crossed for their second try of the match it was the last time the home side would be in front as Easts took control of the game.

The Tigers had an 18-10 lead at the break, and cemented their status further with two tries in ten minutes after the break to lead 28-10 and look a winner after doubles for Linc Port and Billy Walters.

But the Capras didn’t give up, and they scored three tries in the second half themselves, getting within eight points with around ten minutes to play. But the Tigers had time for one more in the 75th minutes which put the game out of reach for Central.

Easts are now well entrenched in the top 6, and unfortunately it is looking like another year without finals for the Capras.


Find out more here.


The Burleigh Bears gave the rest of the competition something to think about as they thrashed the Ipswich Jets 44-0 in a one sides clash at Pizzey Park on Sunday afternoon.

A treble to winger Jake Carl, including a length of the field intercept try which summed up both teams day, and a double to Daniel Vidot were the scoring highlights on a day where the Bears ran in eight unanswered tries against the 2015 premiers.

Bears hooker Pat Politoni was named man of the match, and was outstanding as he has been since returning from injury, despite being on the bench for the Titans on Friday night but not used.

The Bears will need to win just about every game to make the finals from here, but after their performance against Ipswich and with a few players returning, only a fool would completely rule them yet. Ipswich losing means the gap between them in 7th and 6th increases to 4 points.

Find out more here.



The Townsville Blackhawks proved they love playing the Tweed Heads Seagulls after they had yet another huge win over the Tweed side at Piggabeen.

Heading into the game the overall for and against was 170-38 and now sits at 220-46 after just 5 meetings. It stands at 98-26 this season.

The Blackhawks ran in 10 tries in total, and speed machine Jonathon Reuben grabbed himself four of those, three in the first half and the fourth in the second half restarted the slaughter for the Seagulls. Jordan Drew scored a double, and one try and five goals see Carlin Anderson at the top of the point scoring ladder.

The Blackhawks scored 6 tries in the first half, but the Seagulls got the first score of the game, which was a 4th minute penalty. it was to be their only score of the first half.

Despite trailing 30-2 at half time, Tweed Heads came out and scored first after the break, and held on until the 61st minute before letting Townsville in again. That opened the floodgates for the Blackhawks who ran in 4 tries in 19 minutes to seal the huge win.

The win sees Townsville overtake the Magpies into fifth place on the ladder, the loss see Tweed Heads remain last and having a large negative to their already bulging season for and against.

Find out more here.



The Dolphins took out the arm wrestle that was the only all Top 6 clash for the weekend as they beat Souths Logan 19-12 at Davies Park.

The home side were first to score after 13 minutes,  and the Dolphins reply came not long before half time to even the match at half time 6-6. Redcliffe reversed the order in the second half by scoring first through the fiery Curtis Johnston, then the Magpies evened up 10 minutes later.

The decisive try was scored from an unlikely source in Redcliffe captain and prop Sam Anderson, and the result was sealed with a minute to go with a field goal.

The hard earned point leaves Redcliffe just a win behind competition leaders PNG Hunters. The Magpies dropped to sixth but are still 4 points clear of the next best placed team Ipswich.

Find out more here.



If Norths needed a reminder that their season has gone awry, it was delivered emphatically by the Mackay Cutters who avenged a 34-10 loss in Mackay earlier in the season with an even bigger 52-4 win at Bishop Park on Sunday.

The Cutters ran in 10 tries to 1 to demoralise the Devils who registered their 6th straight loss. Mackay’s first three tries arrived like public transport every five minutes, but when Norths’ try machine Delouise Hoeter scored in the 22nd minute it was just 14-4.

It was as close as Norths would get as Mackay scored 2 tries before the break, and helped themselves to another five after the break to run in a huge score against the struggling Devils. Johnny Faletagoa’i scored a hat trick of tries and Nicho Hynes and Cooper Bambling also grabbed a double.

Mackay are now three clear of Norths and sit in 8th, just a point behind Ipswich in 7th but a full five points behind Souths Logan in 6th.

Find out more here.

Subscribe to our weekly tips

We'll send you our weekly predictions once they're posted to NothingButLeague!

No spam, you can cancel at any time.

Other Articles

Leave a Reply

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Translate »