Competition in the NRL and Super League continued in April 2021. Here’s a recap of what made the news.
- 2021 Rugby League News
- What Made Rugby League News in March 2021
April Nothing But League Articles
Bulldogs Rebuild – CEO Aaron Warburton Confident of Success by Matt Attard
NRL Good News: Round 5 by Andrew Pelechaty
What’s Ricky’s Shock Raiders Selection Move? by Andrew Pelechaty
Bulldogs Bound for Wooden Spoon in 2021 by Matt Attard
Perth Needs to Return to the NRL by Andrew Pelechaty
- Ben Reynolds joins Leigh Centurions from Toulouse Olympique (2021).
- Ronald Herbert passes away at 87. Appeared 41 times with Warrington Wolves (1950-1958).
- Gold Coast Titans confirm they will host Newcastle Knights in Round 5 at CBUS Stadium following the lifting of the Brisbane COVID lockdown.
- National Rugby League announce the 18th player can be activated when a team has three failed HIA’s, or in the case of foul play. The changes comes into effect from Round 5.
- England RL announce their 35-man squad in the lead-up to the 2021 RLWC. The team is: John Bateman (Wigan Warriors), Tom Burgess (South Sydney Rabbitohs), Daryl Clark, Mike Cooper, Ben Currie (all Warrington Wolves), Niall Evalds (Castleford Tigers), Herbie Farnworth (Brisbane Broncos), Liam Farrell (Wigan Warriors), Luke Gale (Leeds Rhinos), Oliver Gildart (Wigan Warriors), Josh Griffin (Hull FC), Ash Handley (Leeds Rhinos), Zak Hardaker (Wigan Warriors), Josh Hodgson (Canberra Raiders), Tom Johnstone (Wakefield Trinity), Toby King (Warrington Wolves), Morgan Knowles, Jonny Lomax (both St Helens), Jermaine McGillvary (Huddersfield Giants), Paul McShane (Castleford Tigers), Tommy Makinson (St Helens), Dom Manfredi (Wigan Warriors), Harry Newman (Leeds Rhinos), Mark Percival (St Helens), Joe Philbin, Stefan Ratchford (both Warrington Wolves), James Roby (St Helens), Dan Sarginson (Salford Red Devils), Ryan Sutton (Canberra Raiders), Luke Thompson (Canterbury Bulldogs), Sam Tomkins (Catalans Dragons), Alex Walmsley (St Helens), Kallum Watkins (Salford Red Devils), Elliott Whitehead (Canberra Raiders), George Williams (Canberra Raiders).
- Daryl Powell announced as Warrington Wolves head coach for 2022 (ending 2024).
- Tommy Raudonikis passes away at 70 (13/4/1950-7/4/2021). Former Western Suburbs Magpies, Newtown Jets, Brisbane Brothers player who represented NSW on 24 occasions (1971-1980) and Australia 20 times (1971-1980). Coached Western Suburbs between 1995-1999 and NSW 1997-1998.
- Wests Tigers to retire number 7 jumper to honour the late Tommy Raudonikis in their upcoming match against the North Queensland Cowboys at Leichhardt Oval.
- Jake Friend retires from rugby league.
- Jonny Lomax re-signs with St Helens (2024).
- Adam Reynolds makes history by kicking the first two-point field goal under the new NRL rule.
- Jordan Dezaria promoted to Catalans Dragons squad.
- Cliff Hill passes away at 78 (24/2/1943-8/4/2021). Former Wigan Warriors (1964-1970) and Oldham RLFC (1971-1973) player, one test for Great Britain in 1966.
- Michael Morgan retires from rugby league.
- Newcastle Knights Harold Matthews player Elijah Faalua passes away as a result of a motor vehicle accident.
- Anthony Gelling joins Leigh Centurions (2021).
- Josh McGuire joins St George-Illawarra Dragons from North Queensland Cowboys (2022).
- Josh Simm joins Leigh Centurions on-loan from St Helens RLFC (initial two weeks).
- Leo Nosworthy passes away at 93 (1927-2021). 64 games for Balmain (1948-1952) and coached Balmain 116 times (1969-1973) including the premiership winning 1969 Grand Final side.
- Joe Keyes joins York City Knights from Hull Kingston Rovers (2 week loan).
- Lewis Peachey joins York City Knights from Castleford Tigers (2 week loan).
- Yusuf Aydin joins York City Knights from Wakefield Trinity (2 week loan).
- Siosifa Talakai re-signs with Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks (2023).
- Brendan Piakura joins Brisbane Broncos in 2022 (2024).
- Elliot Wallis released by Hull Kingston Rovers.
- Harry Smith re-signs with Wigan Warriors (2024).
- Jackson Hastings signs with Wests Tigers from Wigan Warriors in 2022 (2023).
- Anesu Mudoti joins Doncaster RLFC from Hull Kingston Rovers on loan (2021).
- Danny Levi joins Brisbane Broncos (2021).
- Trent Merrin retires from rugby league.
- Hayze Perham released by New Zealand Warriors.
- Ash Handley re-signs with Leeds Rhinos (2024).
- NRL announce Perth will host a State of Origin fixture in 2022.
- Jez Litten re-signs with Hull Kingston Rovers (2025).
- Ellis Robson joins Widnes Vikings from Warrington Wolves on loan (2 weeks).
- Sam Walters re-signs with Leeds Rhinos (2023).
- Lee Radford appointed Castleford Tigers coach (2022).
- England Knights squad announced for 2021: Matty Ashton, Rob Butler (Warrington Wolves), Tom Davies (Catalans Dragons), Matty English (Huddersfield Giants), Joe Cator (Hull FC), Ethan Havard (Wigan Warriors), Jordan Lane (Hull FC), George Lawler (Hull KR), Matty Lees (St Helens), Kruise Leeming (Leeds Rhinos), Darnell McIntosh (Huddersfield Giants), Liam Marshall (Wigan Warriors), Alex Mellor, Mikolaj Oledzki (Leeds Rhinos), Jacques O’Neill (Castleford Tigers), Oliver Partington (Wigan Warriors), Danny Richardson (Castleford Tigers), Aaron Smith (St Helens), Cameron Smith (Leeds Rhinos), Harry Smith, Morgan Smithies (Wigan Warriors), Jake Trueman (Castleford Tigers), Danny Walker (Warrington Wolves), Jake Wardle (Huddersfield Giants), Jack Welsby (St Helens), Matt Whitley (Catalans Dragons), Oliver Wilson (Huddersfield Giants).
- Brent Naden signs with Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs for 2022 (2023).
- Hayze Perham joins Parramatta Eels (2022).
- Herbie Farnworth stood down from England’s squad by coach Shaun Wane as “standards have dipped below” what is expected.
- Kodi Nikorima takes up option to stay at New Zealand Warriors in 2022.
- Wigan Warriors and Hull FC release a join statement after alleged racial abuse directed to Andre Savelio from Tony Clubb.